Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 7th, 2005 19:00

USB 2.0 cant install new devices?

I have recently bought a new printer for my 2350 it will install but tell me device is not installed properly code 28 error :smileysad: Are all USB port USB 2.0 as when i check device manager it show one USB 2.0  i am running two devices. One on  fire ware external hard drive and  broadband on ADSL usb connection ?

Desperate as i've spent 2 days now trying to solve the problem

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2005 20:00

I didn't think the 2350 had any 2.0 ports?  Open the Windows Device Manager and see if you have an entry under USB for "enhanced controller".  If you do not have this then you only have 1.1 ports.

However, USB 2.0 devices are supposed to be backward compatible with 1.1 ports, just will transfer data at the slower 1.1. speed.  You will get an alert message that you have a 2.0 device connected to a 1.1 port and something to the effect for maximum performance you should connect it to a 2.0 port. 

As far as the new printer, what order did you install it?  You must install the driver software first and then ONLY when the printer's installation program tells you then physicaly connect the printer.  If you connect the printer first, either it will fail (usually) or Windows could install incorrect drivers and in that case it won't work properly either.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 7th, 2005 21:00

To add to fireberd's excellent post the Dimension 2350 has USB 2.0–compliant connectors .

Bev.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

I have now purchased a new USB PCI card to add extra ports (USB2.0 compliant) and it now tells me that these cant be installed correctly , message "access denied"? is this a driver issue or a hardaware isue?
No Events found!