Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PH

June 22nd, 2007 00:00

USB Problem

I have a Dimension E510 with Windows XP. They system is a little over a year old so the warranty is off. At Dells support site there were several updates, some recommended and others marked URGENT for my system. I downloaded one, followed the instructions exactly, even watched the video for the installation. Up came a blue screen saying Windows shut down so there wouldn't be any damage to my system. I was to dis-able the driver I downloaded. Except the mouse and keyboard doesn't work so that was impossible. I took it to Applied Micro and they contacted Dell. Dell recommended a new motherboard. That didn't work. To quote the technician, "Recommend replacement of PC". I paid $1300 for this system and can't afford another one. Anyone have any ideas?

12.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 00:00

If I took my 1 year old $1300 PC to a repair shop and they said, buy another one, I would take it to a more reputable repair shop. What they are saying is that they are in over their heads.

I repair PC's in my spare time, I have not found one yet I cannot repair, some that are more $$ to repair than to replace maybe, but that decision is up to the customer.

12.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 01:00

They are missing something, it's called competence. Try to find a repair shop that works on alot of Dell's. Start calling them on the Phone and ask "what brands of Computers do you specialize in repairing?"  Ask friends, neighbors, who they have used in the past and were happy with.

June 22nd, 2007 01:00

I had planned on taking it to another shop. I just can't believe there isn't something else they are missing.

June 22nd, 2007 02:00

Thanks for your advice. I live in a rural area so they were the only choice. Guess I better branch out to the big city.
No Events found!