Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 19th, 2008 07:00

USB devices failing: possible power supply issue

My USB devices recently started failing on my XPS 410 machine.  I resolved the issue by removing un-nessiary internal devices (extra nic card, extra firewire card), however I suspect I don't have enough power in the system.  Is this a good guess?

Detail: for a long time I have intermitent network failure issues.  I have rulled out everything external to the system as far as I can tell, so about a week ago, I tried adding a new nic card, and disabling the system network connection.  The system has an extra Firwewire card, and a Video Card that did not come with the system (I do not remember the specs, but suffice it to say it takes a lot of power).   This morning the USB devices failed.  After pulling all the devices mentioned out, the system was able to recognize usb devices. 

Final Question: Power supply recomendation as far as power needs: i.e. 450, etc.  I looked at this some time ago, but don't remeber the specs.  Thanks,

Dave

2.8K Posts

November 19th, 2008 11:00

dlw459,

From the description of your issue I think the simplest possible solution would be for you to get a powered USB hub & plug all your external USB devices into it instead of the onboard ports. The factory-installed PSU in a XPS 410 is listed as 375 W. However, Dell has a long history of underrating its power supplies. If you still want to get a higher rated PSU you should know the XPS 410 doesn't use a Dell proprietary power supply. You can use most standard ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2 SATA power connectors.

As the XPS 410 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used. You should be able to buy a compatible one from most local or online computer stores.

2K Posts

November 19th, 2008 12:00

USB power is negligible compared to display processor power.  USB literally cannot overload the power supply.

BUT, recent Dell desktops have (anecdotally) had power issues with USB peripherals.  Whereas, the system would not power on with all USB connected, but would if USB was unplugged.  These are not data conflicts; they take place before BIOS goes looking for data or device identification.

Thus there is not a blanket fix for the situation.  As a former Dell engineer, I would preliminarily conclude that Dell's outsourced Chinese BIOS engineers don't really know what they're doing.  But I haven't had hands-on access to Dell for 3 years, so I don't know the root causes of these problems.  When my 10yo Dell quits, I will not be replacing it with another Dell.

19 Posts

November 25th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for your reply

I believe I am using a powered USB hub in my Dell monitor (I'll have to check the specs).  However I agree USB in general will not use much of the system power relative to other components.  However I don't overuse of the USB is the problem as for a while I had nothing but the KB and M plugged in and they did not work.  

Do you have any Idea what the actual wattage of the PSU would be? 450? 550?  I still suspect this may be a power issue, given the other issues I have had.  I will also be adding another internal hard drive, so I need to be certain I have enough power.     

22 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 11:00

My brand new Dell Studio Tower doesn't provide enough juice over the USB to charge a blackberry phone.  I also have USB issues (both power and compatability) with my 2003 Dell 600M laptop.  On the other hand, a 5-year Dell 8300 desktop seems to have decent USB connections, as does a recent Dell Latitude.

What's more disturbing about the Studio Tower is that the USB connections appear to be very slow.

Is there any solution to the USB problems, both power and speed?

No Events found!