Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2016 17:00

USB hub stopped working

I have an Optiplex 170L tower with a 2007FP display, running XP SP3.  (Yeah, yeah, I know ...)

I have always had the USB hub on the display connected to the tower to make using flash drives easier, since the tower sits on the floor at my desk.  Suddenly, Windows has stopped activating the hub.  Even worse, it thinks the hub is "new hardware" but refuses to reinstall it.  That damned "new hardware wizard" thinks it is a "USB Device" rather than a root hub and even manually pointing it at the folder where USBHUB.SYS is located doesn't work ("this location does not have information on your device").

I know the driver isn't corrupted because it runs for all the other USB root hubs on the tower.

I also already tried the trick of uninstalling all the root hub drivers (except for the one that has my keyboard and trackball connected to it) and rebooting.  All the USB hubs on the tower get reinstalled as "new hardware" and then the wizard can't find the driver for the hub on the display.

The only thing I could think of is that maybe Windows wants an .INF file specific to the display hub (although why it didn't before is a mystery) but I don't think such a file exists, nor am I well-versed in creating those.

Any and all ideas are welcome ... this is becoming maddening.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2016 20:00

• Can we assume you've checked the USB cable connections between monitor and PC at both ends?
  • Tried a different USB cable?
  • Tried a different rear USB port on the PC?
  • If you connect this monitor to a different PC, are the monitor's USB ports recognized?

July 23rd, 2016 23:00

Yes, not only did I check the connection, I did also try using a different USB port on the computer.

I only have the one USB cable with the FireWire type connector at one end (I know because I thought of that as a possible cause and couldn't find another one in my box of stuff).  I also do not have the ability to test the display on a different computer.  (Long story.)

I know that last suggestion is designed to determine if perhaps the firmware has failed in the hub.  To be honest, if it's that my only apparent recourse would be to replace the display.  I'm not prepared to do that either.

But thank you for a good answer.  At least you confirmed I've been trying the right things.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 24th, 2016 17:00

You could connect a USB cable to a rear USB port on the PC and keep the other end on your desk for easy connection of a flash drive, etc.

That's what I do because my monitor doesn't have USB ports, and I'm too lazy to get under the desk to connect a flash drive directly to the PC.

July 24th, 2016 19:00

That's actually what I've been doing as an interim method.  Still would like to get this hub working again because I usually use the two ports on the back of the monitor to keep the dual-connector USB cable some of my portable HDs need to function connected.

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 25th, 2016 12:00

Well, unless you rule out the monitor by connecting it to a different PC or connecting a different monitor to this PC, you're kinda stuck...

No Events found!