This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

August 16th, 2016 14:00

USB "Smart Power On": What is it?

Hello there,

I have a bunch of OptiPlex 7040s that each have a USB port on the back labeled with a tiny power logo, and in the Quick Start Guide, that particular port is listed as "USB 3.0 connector (Supports Smart Power On).  

Does anyone know what that means?  I've already Googled it and only found it listed as a feature all over Dell's web site, but there is no explanation as to how one would go about taking advantage of it.  I was hoping it was similar to Lenovo's Alt+P power on feature, but Alt+P does nothing.

I called Dell's support and got some poor slob that insisted it had something to do with waking from hibernation.  That is not a new feature.  Waking from hibernation has been possible from any USB port since 1996.  I don't call that smart-powering-on.  It's called waking from hibernation.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2016 12:00

The YELLOW jack indicates that you can charge USB devices when the port is enabled even with the system OFF otherwise,

How to charge external USB devices (i.e. cellular phones, portable music players, etc.)

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

August 17th, 2016 12:00

What does USB PowerShare have to do with what I'm asking about?  The PowerShare port is indicated by a little lightning bolt on the front lower USB port seen if you look closely at the left edge of the pic I attached.  I know what PowerShare is.  I'm asking about the "Smart Power On" port, indicated by the tiny power on symbol, next to the topmost USB port on the back of the system.  There is no reference to Smart Power On in the BIOS.  Please reread the subject line of my post.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2016 13:00

Check this forum answer out: en.community.dell.com/.../19677672

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

August 17th, 2016 13:00

@BeamerMT79, the answer on that page is a big load of double-talk and bologna.  Did you read it?  Change two BIOS settings and a couple of OS settings to make the port do something?  Does that make sense to you?    

What does Smart Power On MEAN?  Do you know?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2016 14:00

Well from the thread I showed you, its a port you plug your keyboard into and with the proper settings, allows you to use your keyboard to turn on the computer.

No Events found!