Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 15th, 2011 08:00

Update of video card ATI Radeon HD 5770

Hi,

I have just happened to notice that Firefox 8.0 requires that I update the video card (driver version 8.700.0.0 ) in my DELL Studio XPS 8100 (running  Windows 7 64-bit) to version 10.6 or newer.  In contrast, the driver window in device manager says the latest driver version is installed.

Will I really have to adhere to DELL’s Chris M.'s 30-month-old  instructions when updating the ATI video driver? Is there no easier way to accomplish the same final result?

On the other hand, when checking the Drivers & Downloads page here, I have found a one-year-old announcement of BIOS version A05 for the Studio XPS 8100. Would you find the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" phrase would apply here?

Your response to my questions will be greatly appreciated.

LilBill

1.5K Posts

November 16th, 2011 06:00

It does not matter what Device Manager says as you have an older driver version and it should be updated.  The latest version is 11.11 from the AMD web site so you are way behind.  

Chris's instructions are still good.  You already have the latest .NET Framework with Windows 7 so this is not necessary.  Since you probably have not updated the driver much, using Driver Sweeper is not necessary either so you simply need to uninstall the older driver and CCC in your add/remove programs before installing the new driver.  

I would not update the BIOS unless it shows as critical.  Sometimes it can offer functionality with upgrades, however.  

42 Posts

November 16th, 2011 07:00

Hi Kelbear1

That surely sounds fine. Thank you so much for your assistance and immediate response to my questions.

Best regards

LilBill

No Events found!