Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2000 00:00

Updated McAfee software-many problems now

We went to update our virus scan programs though the update was sucessfull our systems went haywire. first, after the download we were stuck in DOS and couldn't get out. My wife said she had to reset to get back to windows. Then she encountered a problem while at homestead-it was acting strangly and the screen was flickering, unable to click and drag,prob.w/ importing files,she went to help it said to turn off virus scan.She did,then our wall paper& other programs were altered in one way or another. we now have a pink background, have to enter our passwords where we didn't before??? How do we get back to life before? Help!! Thanks for assistance

May 23rd, 2000 03:00

Hi,
I am assuming that when you said "update our virus scan programs" you are refering to Upgrading to the new McAfee VirusScan version 5.0.1. If this is what you mean then probably what happened is that you installed over the old version without uninstalling first. I'm emailing you the instructions for Upgrading to version 5.0.1. These MUST be followed for a clean install of the new version.
If my assumption is wrong and you just updated the DAT's. then I would recommend going to McAfee Clinic and click the free trial, register for the free trial and have them scan for a virus.
Steve

23 Posts

May 23rd, 2000 18:00

Hi Griz,
Just as a matter of background, there has been a lot of conversation in the past concerning the stability of systems when utilizing McAfee. I was one of those that had been fighting the thing for about a year. When I did the upgrade to 5.01 things just got worse. I finally, with advice from the forum, dumped McAfee and installed Norton VS. Haven't had one related problem since.
Luck,
PapaRalph

3 Posts

May 24th, 2000 02:00

Thanks Paparalph, The Info, is something to consider for sure. I really appreciate your reply Thanks---Griz
No Events found!