Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2010 11:00

Upgrade Dim 4700 mobo & processor to Dual Core

Ok, I have a dimension 4700 in the standard size case running the standard P4.  The only upgrades are 2 x 1gb sticks of ram and a NVIDIA 7600GT vid card.  I understand that the mobo is not capable of using dual core processors and switching to a non-dell mobo can be somewhat problematic.  Here's my question:  Can I install an Inspirion 530 mobo (or any other dell mobo capable of dual core processor) with a dual core/core 2 duo processor in the dimension's case, using all the original hardware (hdd, psu, dvd/cd RW, etc....)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The answer is no - not without modifications to the case and wiring.  Newer systems require SATA drives and have no support for IDE devices -- you likely have an IDE DVD drive you'll need to replace, and to use a faster CPU you'll need new RAM as well.  By the time you buy the parts, you may as well just replace the system - it will be cheaper, simpler and less frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Whatever you use, if it can get it to fit, you will still be faced with the Dell proprietary and undocumented front panel connector.  Dell had mostly abandoned their proprietary connector and joined the rest of the world with the ATX standards.  Newer motherboards have a different audio interface standard (for the headphone and mic connections) so that is another issue.  Newer systems, such as a 530, are all SATA, no PATA (IDE) is used for the hard drive or CD/DVD drives. The PSU can be used but is marginal.  The memory will not be compatible. 

Best thing if you want to upgrade is either buy a new PC or if you want another motherboard is to basically build your own PC using a standard (ATX) motherboard and a retail ATX PC case and power supply.  Building your own will cost you about $200 additional to whatever a motherboard, CPU and CPU Heatsink assembly will cost for an ATX case/power supply and a Retail copy of Windows (and go for Windows 7). 

Most of the users, from past posts, that replace the motherboard also go for the Retail case and upgraded (higher power wattage) power supply to avoid all the hassles.

No Events found!