Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2016 00:00

Upgrade Graphics Card on Dell Inspiron 580 MT

Hello,

I did look through similar threads on this site first, but the most recent one I found was more than a year old, so I decided to create a new Post

We have a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 580 MT. Just purely because of its age I am about to put in a new Hard Drive, & while doing this I thought to upgrade/replace the dedicated Graphics card.

At the Moment there is a 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce G310 card in there. The Computer is used mainly for business, so no gaming stress on it. The Card handles two Monitors, both Dell 2007FP with a resolution of 1600 x 1200. At the moment one is on the DVI, one on the VGA but I would like to make both DVI to "Future Proof" if we replace the Monitors with larger Higher resolution ones.

What would be a sensible upgrade Graphics Card? I would like to find one that would not require a PSU upgrade as well.

CPU is an Intel Core i3 Processor 530(2,93GHz,4MB)

8 GB of RAM onboard

Any suggestions much appreciated :-)

May 22nd, 2016 21:00

Hi Eving Traveller

Thanks for writing to us. 

Below are few other graphics card which are compatible with your system. 

nVidia GT220 1GB

nVidia M207 1GB

AMD Radeon HD 5670 1GB

AMD Radeon HD 5450, 1G

You can look for the ports specifications on the vendor website, before you decide on one.

The machine goes with only 300w PSU, so you need not worry about changing the PSU. 

Regards

May 23rd, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for your answer & the list of Graphics cards.

I have also been recommended the Nvidia GT 710 2GB - is this another possibility in your opinion?

Thanks again,

Eving Traveller

May 25th, 2016 21:00

Hello, nice to hear from you.
Unfortunately Nvidia GT 710 2GB is not an option for this system.
Regards

May 26th, 2016 06:00

Ok thanks for the info - I am surprised though.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter - I could not get the card release to work so the old one would not come out. It is totally different looking than the one in the Diagram on the Dell 580 MT Service Manual, & pushing it in did nothing:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 26th, 2016 08:00

Cards with 2 or more DVI tend to be overtly priced.  Also Newer cards are likely to have HDMI and DVI and VGA or Display port.  DUAL DVI is from 6 years back.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForce-Multi-display-Graphics-52GGF4AM5UXX/dp/B007YWMFKU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139087

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Business-VCQ450NVS-X16-DVI-PB/dp/B001RBE7GO

May 26th, 2016 11:00

Yes I agree and in the end just got a HMDI to DVI converter cable to get Digital to the second Monitor & all is running fine.

I had bought a GT710 but have now returned it to Amazon

Would have liked to upgrade the Card though - if only because it is 6 years old & if it fails.....

But as I wrote previously the release mechanism is entirely different to in the Manual, & pressing it seemed to do nothing. Tugged hard on the card while pressing it in but nothing moved & was afraid to damage either the card or MOBO!

May 26th, 2016 22:00

Hi , Have you removed the screw holding the card retention bracket at the rear side? Post removing the screw, you have to remove the the bracket , then push the white tabs at the base of the card and pull it up. 

May 27th, 2016 04:00

Yes I removed the bracket as stated in the Service Manual. But I don't see any white tabs at the base of the card, though to the "rear" of the graphics card there is a black plastic tab, shaped like an elongated "S" that I presume is the release mechanism. But even pushing it in as hard as I could, I saw no movement & the card felt still rock solid. I will try and take some photos & send them these next days

May 27th, 2016 21:00

Sure will wait.

May 28th, 2016 08:00

Ok I took this photo. You can see the "lever" to the back of the card.

As I wrote before, I pressed this lever towards the card & tried pulling the card up, but it felt still very fixed!

Any help you can give me how to remove the card is much appreciated. I am naturally concerned not to do any damage to the Mobo by pulling too hard :emotion-1:

1 Attachment

May 28th, 2016 13:00

UPDATE: After looking at some YouTube videos about removing Graphics cards, I found one showing a similar lever to the one in our 580. In this video you had to pull the lever away from the card. Can you confirm that this is the case with the 580?

May 28th, 2016 20:00

Hi, Please look at this video, the lock is similar and the its pressed away from the card, though its a short video,

but at the 6th second you can see the clip being pushed.

Regards

May 28th, 2016 22:00

Hello, 

Sure do give it a try. 

As per the vendor website it says it needs a 500W PSU, However the hd5670 is a low profile card, so it only can get 75watt from the PCIE slot, so thats good. Its a GDDR5.

GT220 is a DDR3 memory version.

For the third question its as simple Dell didn't test the card, though we have come across few across upgrading to parts which are not tested by Dell, for few it was a success but for few its a nil to no success.

Regards

May 28th, 2016 22:00

Hi,

Ok thank you - I will try to remove the card on a "down" day in the office .-)

And some quick return questions regarding possible graphics card upgrades.

• You suggested the HD 5670 1GB. I see a lot of different views  as to if it needs a 300 watt psu (as in our 580 MT) or a 400 W psu. Is this card definitely OK in our Computer? And GDDR5 or GDDR3 version?
  • The nVidia GT220 1GB - is that the DDR2 or the DDR3 version?
  • And regarding the GT 710 2 GB that you said was not compatible - I am just interested - is it a BIOS problem?

Thanks again for your continued help!

May 28th, 2016 23:00

Fabulous - thank you for the updated information - I will write again after I check out removing the old card, & trying a new one :-)

No Events found!