Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2017 06:00

Upgrade Precision T7610 with nVidia 1080Ti?

I search for a way to upgrade our bit oldish Precision T7610 workstation that currently runs two quadro K2000 cards. The power supply of this unit is rated for 1300 Wat and is equipped in 3 x 8pin outputs (for 3 video cards) . Quadro cards are fine for some less taxing calculations but the number of CUDA cores does not cut for much heavier graphic processing.  

I would like to replace them with a single nVidia 1080Ti supplied over 8+8 pins or 6+8pins. I have red on DELL support page that Precision T7610 supports 1080 model but will it work with its bit stronger and RAM richer version? Please advise.

June 18th, 2017 23:00

Hello ANDRE-GEO,

Dell has not tested the 1080 or the 1080Ti on the T7610, hence it would be difficult to assure that it would work. The T7610 specifications are at http://dell.to/2rGCRJw

However, surfing around the web I found a similar situation at http://bit.ly/2tDuiMn. I hope this will help you.

Please send me direct message by clicking on my username with the service tag and contact details, should you require further assistance. If the machine is out of warranty please contact Out of warranty support at http://dell.to/1TD76I0

3 Posts

June 19th, 2017 03:00

Hi, DELL-Siba P. Thank you for the answer. It was helpful to some extent. I'm deeply perturbed by the lack of a professionalism on the Dell side in terms of giving solid information about the upgrades.  When I use the service code there is nearly nothing under replacement parts. According to the available parts, a work station is composed of hard discs and ram sticks... . There are not even quadro cards. Then I have invested some time and found that:

www.dell.com/.../graphic-video-cards

The T7610 is listed as a compatible system... . So what is going on here?. Either Dell has no idea what they sell or we have different systems sold under the same label (that also don't say anything good about Dell).

If I search after 1080ti:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I see 0 compatible products from Dell... Just some general info.

June 21st, 2017 22:00

Hello ANDRE-GEO,

I have checked internally and the 1080Ti is available for the Alienware Area 51 and the Aurora R6 only.

I can find more information in relation to the 1080's compatibility with T7610. However, this may take a while. This would be relevant if you wish to get the 1080 instead of the 1080Ti.

Let me know.

3 Posts

July 17th, 2017 03:00

Thank you Siba for your effort but I fear at the end I would get no satisfactory answer. After some deliberation I have decided to just buy a 1080Ti card and put it into the workstation. The power unit and number of 8pin connectors was more than enough to supply this card.

Firstly I have removed all drivers and nvidia junk for two K2200 cards and rolled system back to the default windows drivers.  

The installation of the Ti card went very smoothly. The acquired card from Zotac with twin-fans is a bit higher than founder’s edition and therefore it does stick out of the Tower (I frankly do not care. It is computer for calculations and not looks).  After the installation of new drivers the workstation accepted the new card without any problem.

As a tip for other intrepid dell owners, who can leave with lower precision calculations. This upgrade works and is cheap (in comparison to comparable quadro cards). Here, the main goal of the upgrade was to improve the performance of image processing software, Avizo 9 that is used to crunch very heavy high resolution X-ray-CT data. The goal has been achieved by reducing calculation times by half.

No Events found!