Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2016 01:00

Upgrade graphics card for XPS 8700 to play No Man's Sky

I have a XPS 8700 desktop that currently has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 graphics card.  I would like to upgrade the graphics card, so that my son can play a game called No Man's Sky.  The minimum graphics card requirement for this game is a NVIDIA GTX 480 GPU.

I've looked at the list of compatible graphics cards for the XPS 8700 on the Dell store website and I can't work out which one would meet the minimum requirement for this game.

Which would be the appropriate graphics card to upgrade to?  Would I also need to upgrade the power supply?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2016 08:00

Hi yvetlearn,

Thanks for posting.

Dell has tested XPS 8700 with following video cards :
nVidia GeForce GTX 660, GTX 645, GTX 650Ti, GTX 660.
AMD Radeon HD 7570, HD8870.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 11th, 2016 17:00

Its basic but not too expensive.  If your system is windows 8 or higher you would need to turn secure boot off and legacy CSM on.  Bios updates may need to be done BEFORE changing anything.  

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/no-mans-sky/13130

No Man's Sky Minimum Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i3
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870

That said the good news on the video front would be that the $150  GTX 1050 TI is as good as the old GTX 680.

This means thats all you need as long as you have at least 8 gigs of ram.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-04G-P4-6253-KR-Rodgers/dp/B01MF7EQJZ

4 Posts

December 16th, 2016 01:00

Hi SpeedStep, thanks for that, I ended up buying a GeForce GTX 660, because it looked like it would work with my existing PSU.  I haven't had to mess around with BIOS settings for a number of years.  I can see there is an option to turn secure boot off.  But I'm not sure what turning on Legacy CSM is?  Where might I find that option in the BIOS?

Thanks,

Yvette

4 Posts

December 16th, 2016 01:00

Hi Robert, I ended up buying a GeForce GTX 660, since it did not need a more powerful PSU than the one I currently have. I removed the original graphics card, a GeForce GT 720, and I put the GeForce GTX 660 in the same PCI slot, and connected to the existing power supply.  But when I started up the computer, there was a black screen.  The monitor I am using is a Dell E2414H, which does not have a HDMI connection, so I have it connected to the GeForce GTX 660 using a HDMI to VGA converter.  I have not tried using a DVI cable (my monitor appears to have a DVI input as well).

The monitor works when I have it connected to the onboard video output, which is an HDMI output, therefore I have my monitor connected using my HDMI to VGA converter, so there's no problem with the HDMI to VGA converter.

Is there anything I need to change in the BIOS settings? My BIOS version is A09. It has been many years since I looked at BIOS settings and I can't see any options to change that may control the display.

Thanks,

Yvette

4 Posts

December 16th, 2016 03:00

HI SpeedStep, turning secure boot off has solved my black screen upon startup issue, thanks for that.  All good now.

Yvette

No Events found!