Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 15:00

Upgrading Dell E520 Video card

The current video card on my E520 is 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache.   I would like to upgrade it to a much faster video card compatible with the E520 motherboard.  There are many high rated video cards in the market.  How do i knwo it would work with my E520 motherboard and I can get full potential of the new video card.  Can someone recommend a good replacement?   

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 13th, 2015 17:00

If you aren't afraid to work on a card a little bit, or get someone to do it for you here's my solution.

I'm running a PNY Nvidia GTX750Ti O/C 2GB DDR5 card. Single fan version. To mount this in an E520 you need to remove the metal bracket on the end. Cut it in half with tin snips top to bottom. Flatten it back out and bolt it back on. Next unscrew the fan/cover assembly and cut the plastic back  about 1/2''by where the part of the bracket you just removed was. This lets the air turn and go out the exhaust vents. Leave the part with the mounting screws on. You asked for "MUCH FASTER" well this is  what it takes.

This card only darws 60 watts, so no extra power cable is needed. It should run OK with the Dell PSU. Nvidia says 300W PSU, some card suppliers suggest more. But to be honest I already had a bigger PSU from the card I took out, so it is possible a 400W.Psu may be required. This a normal part of video card upgrading and normal PSU works fine in E520 if needed.

If this is too much for you then look at single slot versions of say GT730 cards. DDR5 memory equals fast. Avoid DDR3. Nvidia cards are very power efficient. If you try to save money by going with Radeon you may end up having to buying a power supply. So check how much power the card requires.

No Events found!