Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 22nd, 2009 13:00

Upgrading E520 components inc RAM - but which?

Hi all,

I've decided to upgrade my E520 a bit.  First off I'm looking to upgrade the RAM - the Kingston website reckons I can install 2*2gb strips of DDR2 @ 800mhz each (leaving 2 empty slots), which sounds great, but...The manual (online) for this system says to install 1gb per slot...And I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what to do.

I'm also wondering about the processor; is it possible to just fit a "better" processor to the same motherboard, with the same BIOS etc?  If yes, what is the highest spec chip that will be compatible?

I'm looking to upgrade the gfx card too but have made a seperate post about that.

Any help is appreciated, guys!

1.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 14:00

realepicurean,

I can help you with the RAM upgrade. Many customers buy memory from Crucial. The memory purchased here comes with a warranty.

You can update the memory, video card, and processor. During these updates, and you could consider buying a new system.  You may want to look for  a good value in your local Dell Outlet Store.

August 22nd, 2009 15:00

I've scanned my computer with the Crucual Memory Tool which accurately identifies my computer as an E520 but tells me to use 1gb modules.  Kingston on the other hand says I can use 2gb modules; KTD-DM8400C/2G 2GB 800MHz CL5 Module.  Will the latter be compatible?  I got myself confused when comparing the speed (Mhz) of the Crucial and Kingston variants.

1.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 16:00

realepicurean,

Dell computers can be a little fussy about memory. I checked the specs in the manual  and 1GB memory modules are the largest size supported by this motherboard. I buy RAM at Crucial or Dell, wherever I can get the best price.

Installing memory .

2 Posts

September 28th, 2009 19:00

I need help with my E520.  I bought  2 x 1gb kit from CRUCIAL and was looking to upgrade from exisiting 2gb RAM to 4gb Ram

I installed the pair of RAM and after reboot I go into MY COMPUTER and it only recognizes 3gb RAM  WHY?

Is there a utility I can run to get the PC to recognize and use 4gb?  Was I suppose to rune a utility F@ the first time I rebooted when asked?

Thanks you from Craig in RI

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 28th, 2009 21:00

cbog

When you have a 32-bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3gb± is all a 32bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

See HERE

Bev.

No Events found!