Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2010 22:00

Upgrading Hard Drive on Inspiron 537s how do i clone the current hdd?

Hi guys, i have a 537s slim desktop. I currently have a 500GB hdd with windows vista home Prem 64bit. I did some googling around and found out that i can clone my current hdd and put that image on the new hdd and EVERYTHING will be like how it is now except with more space? I know WesternDigital provides you with that software i believe, but i ordered a 1TB Seagate drive. Any help would be appreciated. thank you very much.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

June 10th, 2010 02:00

Hi, I use the Acronis True Image WD Edition, its free, and you can get it from HERE. You can still use it, even if your drive is Seagate. 

1.7K Posts

June 10th, 2010 08:00

DiscWizard from Seagate will clone your hard drive and can be found HERE.  I have used it before to clone a Seagate hard drive and it is made by Acronis.  The user guide can also be found HERE.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2010 17:00

hey guys, i downloaded the WD software but have not used it yet. My main concerns are will it clone my current hdd the way it is right now? Meaning with all partitions and saved files and settings and wallpapers etc etc? Also when i start the cloning do i need to connect my new hdd to the computer as a secondary hdd first before doing the cloning? Thank you so much for your replies.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2010 18:00

ZEEKHAN

I use either Acronis, or Casper daily to image the primary C: / drives to the installed secondarys, as a backup and they give a exact clone of the primary.

First, install the new drive as the secondary, image the exsisting C:/ to it.

Immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transfered to the new hard drive.

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

As the 537s, is a Slimline model, four shoulder screws may be required to mount the secondary SATA hard drive.

Bev.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2010 21:00

Bev,

Thank you very much for your reply again. I will follow your directions as you posted. I just one this one last repeating question and i apologize for asking this again. Cloning my hdd means that the new hdd will just be like how the current one is right? Meaning the new one will have all partitions and DATA and settings and all, correct?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2010 22:00

Bev,

Thank you very much for your reply again. I will follow your directions as you posted. I just one this one last repeating question and i apologize for asking this again. Cloning my hdd means that the new hdd will just be like how the current one is right? Meaning the new one will have all partitions and DATA and settings and all, correct?

ZEEKHAN

Yes, that is correct.

Bev.

No Events found!