Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2012 10:00

Upgrading Video Card in Optiplex 7010

Hello,

My son got himself a 7010 via his work (free pc) and he wants me to upgrade anything that can be upgraded.  Considering he works with 3D imaging apps like CAD, the AMD 7570 needs to be drop kicked.  He wants to game on it when not working (the desktop is for him to work at home - he has another at work).  I figured a 79xx series would be a great upgrade but the current PSU is horribly inadequate for any future upgrade - EVER.  275 watts hardly suffices with any card above the 75xx series.  

Having bought Dells in the past, the PSU can be a pain to upgrade because of size constraints and proprietary limitations.  Does anyone know what options I have in upgrading the PSU to say a Corsair 650TX?  The specs of his machine are:

OptiPlex 7010 MT                                   OptiPlex 7010 Minitower w/ Standard Power Supply
Operating System(s)                             Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English
Processors                                             3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (Quad Core, 3.40GHz, 8MB w/HD4000 Graphics)
Memory                                                    16GB, NON-ECC, 1600MHZ DDR3,2DIMM
Graphics Cards                                     1GB AMD RADEON HD 7570,FH,w/VGA
Boot Hard Drives                                   1TB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s with 32MB DataBurst Cache™
Removable Media Storage Device     16X DVD+/-RW and 19-in-1 Card Reader
Thermal                                                   Heat Sink, Performance, Minitower
Wireless                                                  Dell Wireless 1530 PCIe WLAN card, FH
Power Supply                                         OptiPlex 7010 MT Standard PSU
Second Hard Drive Options                 1TB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s with 32MB DataBurst Cache™

Thanks,

Patrick

3 Posts

April 1st, 2013 13:00

OK,

Best bang for the $ would be a GTX 660 (~200USD). Here's a smaller one:

http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-ZT-60901-10M/dp/B009AEL3JO

With that, you'll need a psu like this, which will fit in your case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

Good luck !

ITguy1

4 Posts

May 11th, 2013 19:00

I just installed a Seasonic  M12II.    I was kind of surprised that Dell didn't include a PCI-E connector.  For crying out loud, they put PCI slots in this thing.  The psu install had a few uh-oh moments.  The assembly for latching the case cover wouldn't allow me to insert the psu.  The Dell psu is smaller than the Seasonic, something I didn't know until the moment to install arrived.   I ended up removing the plastic slider that holds the cover closed.  Pop off the spring, push down on the tab stop,  push slide down and slide out the opening for the power supply.  The new psu fit without a problem even though about 3/4" longer than the factory psu.  I'll have to put a screw on the outside of the cover--not a huge issue since the case will be on a rack and it won't be noticed.

I also installed an ASUS GEForce GTX 650Ti video card.  As noted by others, the fit is tight, but do-able.  I also had to trim off about 1/4" of the tab on the latch for the slots.  It took about 30 seconds with a fine Xacto saw.  Cut cleanly, latch closes properly.  Overall everything buttoned up nicely. 

Oh, and I also threw in 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM.  Just because.

87 Posts

May 13th, 2013 04:00

Re. an auxiliary power connector for high power video cards - Optiplexes don't have these as they are essentially business PCs.

For reference the Mini Tower Optiplex 7010 supports up to 75W power draw from the 16x PCIe video connector as standard.

see: www.dell.com/.../optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

I'm looking at putting a Zotac GeForce GT 640 Zone Edition Passive Cooled NVIDIA card (65W) to test.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2013 09:00

Appreciate your point.  However, I have always purchased Optiplex for myself and my clients because of the standardization of parts and long life-cycle.  Overall, buying this box from Dell Outlet with a 30% discount, then adding the necessary guts was cheaper than buying an already-configured system.  My only gripe is the lack of a pci-e 6 pin connector.  Seems like it should have been a simple, inexpensive item to include.

My work involves graphics design as well as video work for marketing clients.  The video card upgrade was a necessity, and I searched carefully before I purchased the one I installed. 

Bottom line:  There were a few case modifications necessary but with a beefy video card, more RAM, and a better power supply, this set up will serve me well.  Oh and with the modular power supply, I can install a second DVD drive and a second hard drive on the same power connector.  So, very nice neat wire bundle inside.  I'm happy.

BTW--as with most people, I read the reviews carefully when contemplating a purchase.  The reviews on the ASUS card were excellent, and I agree.  Since the Seasonic psu was recommended on here, it's the one I went with.  Fortunately, I read the reviews carefully and discovered the unit recommended here was not modular, which would have resulted in a nasty bundle of unused wires inside.  With modular, I only have to plug in what I need.  The only nasty surprise was the fit, which required removing the plastic latch assembly.  The psu is silent in operation.

1 Message

November 25th, 2013 13:00

Patrick,

I saw this post and have a similar question.  I am trying to boot up Dell 7010MT using a thermaltake TR2 RX 850W Power Supply.  The computer will not boot.  Any ideas?

bobmcleod

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 11:00

Full Length cards will not fit. 8.5 Inches is probably Max.

1 Message

February 20th, 2015 11:00

I know this is several years too late but can you tell me what you ended up with on your 7010 MT? did the Corsair 650tx work out?

4 Posts

February 20th, 2015 11:00

I installed a Seasonic power supply.  It didn't fit well.  The Asus video card I purchased that others claimed worked in this computer did NOT work.  Bottom line:  The motherboard will not support upgraded video cards.  I simply wanted to run two monitors.  I ended up using the hdmi port for a second monitor.  Everything works well.  Newegg refused to take back the power supply and video card.  Dell tech sold me a video card THEY claimed would work and it did not.  Then they refused to take the card back.  I ended up selling the whole load of [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] on eBay for about 1/2 what I paid for it.  Bottom line:  when I needed a laptop I didn't shop Dell.  I went to Best Buy and purchased an Acer and am totally happy with it.  Tablet?  Well, I didn't want to go to Dell, but the Venue Pro 8 is pretty darned good.  I bought a used one on eBay for $190 with 64gb.  It's pretty nice.  However, I give tablets away at my seminars, and I purchase HP Stream 7's.  They seem to be nice little tablets.  Dell has disappointed me.  They used to be a great company.  Now they're just a commodity manufacturer with poor support, poor customer service and so-so products.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2016 02:00

can 8,6 Inches be OK? ASUS GTX760-DC2OC

www.asus.com/.../specifications

2 Posts

January 20th, 2016 02:00

I have the same issue: i want to upgrade the video card and psu on an Optiplex 7010 (MT case).

Can somebody please confirm either the following items can be 100% OK or not (dimensions / compatibility with case and motherboard):

-  ASUS GeForce ® GTX 760 DirectCU II (GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5)

- ATX Corsair TX 650 W

2 Posts

April 26th, 2016 10:00

I recently purchased a refurbished Optiplex 7010 MT.  Core i7 3.40GHz  4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 7P   I have already ordered the memory to upgrade it to 32GB RAM.

I need to upgrade the power supply and video card to run Adobe software -- Photoshop, etc.   Based on prior experience, I need the fastest possible graphics option.

The video card that I'm thinking about buying is the GEForce GT 640 recommended by Dell.   Is there a specific version since the specifications also say "(OHGA3/M209N)"?  I would prefer to be able to use a card with more memory but still PCIe 3.0 which appears to be much faster than the PCIe 2.0.   If there is a better card out there, please let me know.

The power supply is standard.  Since this is April 2016, the Corsair 650TX appears to be hard to get at best,  Is there another power supply that would work?

Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated!

4 Posts

April 26th, 2016 14:00

Good luck.  I thought I had it nailed, but it ended up being a disaster.  Reason?  The motherboard in the Optiplex would not support the video card.  The Corsair power supply wouldn't fit properly but with a bit of modification I got it in.  After all that, the video card would not work.  Newegg refused to take back the video card and power supply, so I was stuck there--selling them on eBay for considerably less than I paid.  Next, Dell technical support told me to purchase one of their video cards.  It didn't work either.  Finally, a repair tech looked at my computer and said "You can plug two monitors in without changing the video card".  So, I did, it worked fine and I run Adobe CS5 with no problems.  The bottom line is the Optiplex is not designed to be an upgradeable computer so if you can make this work I applaud you.

5 Posts

February 20th, 2017 12:00

Running the GTX 1050Ti LP in my 7010 DT. See vid on my channel on YT:

youtu. be/Vh2TDZlrc68,

5 Posts

January 4th, 2018 11:00

I now this us hold but I got to ask. Was the graphics card you tried was a gtx 770 or gtx 780. Somewhere online someone was having driver issues causing problems. Another got a PC to work with old drivers. The first guy couldn't fix it. Maybe bios, maybe card or psu. A next person got it to work with gtx 1050.

Are you using a gtx 770. Im wondering if certain gtx series graphics card won't work.

Maybe your psu was a factor. Maybe the card require more watts on 12v rail or it require 2 6pin or 8 pin?

Also why the thermaltake couldn't power on the system but the other one did. Could that board be sensitive to psu or something else. perhaps the both PSU are not good enough for the system.

Reason im asking because i want to revive a my friend pc with a thermaltake 750w with a gtx 760. Sound like I'm in trouble

5 Posts

January 4th, 2018 11:00

I now this is old. Sorry to be late. Did you get the gtx 760 and the PSU to work?

No Events found!