Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2013 00:00

Upgrading a Business XPS 8700 to Windows 8.1

Hi there, I'm a developer for a small company and we purchased a new XPS 8700 at the beginning of the month which was delivered 2 days ago. To my surprise it came with only Windows 8 installed, not 8.1.

When I went to the Windows Store there was option to upgrade so I ran Windows Update to ensure that I had installed all the updates that would allow my to do so. After everything was installed, I checked the store again but still nothing.

Checking the Microsoft site they seem to indicate that this could be due to the fact the machine was installed with a Volume license key which I assume is what Dell does for the machines sold through the Business portal. I tried downloading and 8.1 install disk but that asks me for a license key which I obviously don't have as it's embedded in the BIOS.

Does anyone have any idea how I can upgrade the machine, it would be really *** if it was stuck on Windows 8.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide,

-Erno

4 Posts

December 12th, 2013 12:00

Hi Ravi.

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the update but when I ran it, it told me it was already installed (so no luck there) and it still nothing in the Windows Store I'm afraid.

btw  before reinstalling KB2871389    Go ahead and search for KB2871389 at control panel>Programs>Programs and features>installed updates. Once found select and check box uninstall.    

Then go back and rerun the file Ravi sent ya.

But personally i also had a problem moving fro Win 8 to 8.1 but it was during first release of 8.1 and because i did not use an official MS account to log into Win 8.  I used a local screen name and didnt sync that PC with MS at all cause i didnt use MS Store at all. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi chameleon_erno ,

Good work on troubleshooting. Please update the following Windows update and check if you are able to find the Windows 8.1 update option in the APP store.

http://dell.to/1bxAT9M

December 12th, 2013 02:00

Hi Ravi.

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the update but when I ran it, it told me it was already installed (so no luck there) and it still nothing in the Windows Store I'm afraid.

4 Posts

December 12th, 2013 12:00

I also bought XPS8700  during after thanksgiving weekend sales couple weeks ago.... But only just opened my Dell.com ordered XPS8700 last night even though it was already delivered to me 10 days ago  and was sitting unopened in my office.  Until last night :emotion-2:

I set everything up and yes you're right... it ran Win8 out of the box.  but i didnt have a problem with having the MS store to pop up the Win8.1.

First i signed in to Win8 with my MS account that's officially sync with MS ecosystem.

Then I made certain Windows 8 was updated to the maximum, by restart cycled and ran Check update repeatedly to ensure all updates was installed before even trying to deal with MS Store 8.1 update process.

then again its not "Business" 8700.

Watch "the Defrag Show" Ep published Nov 20 for volume Lkey

Defrag: Windows 8.1 Upgrades, Overheating, Keeping Safe Online
24 minutes, 53 seconds
these are actual MS engineers hosting this thing.

Defrag: Windows 8.1 Upgrades, Overheating, Keeping Safe Online

49 Posts

December 12th, 2013 17:00

When performing the KB2871389 procedure, it appears that it is critically important to follow the steps exactly.

That means restarting after uninstalling and restarting (again) after re-installing.

I had everything set up perfectly on two XPS 8700s, including all of the Win 8 updates and an official MS account, yet the 8.1 upgrade didn't appear in the Windows Store until after I performed the KB2871389 procedure properly.

The procedure has been outlined by an MS engineer --> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/windows-81-update-is-not-available/d3958a62-aba4-4e65-9d1b-84f438476fb0?auth=1

December 12th, 2013 23:00

Hell everyone, thanks you very much for all the advice.

Following TorroRosso's advice (McLaren rules by the way, maybe not this year but we'll be back with a vengeance next year :emotion-4:) the update showed in the Windows Store.

Hope you all have a happy holidays and thanks again.

-Erno

No Events found!