Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2017 14:00

Upgrading a Dell studio xps 7100

I am trying to revive a old dell studio xps 7100 from the grave and make it into a new gaming computer.

the amazon link with the specs is at the bottom of the post, the only difference is that i added another 2GB of ram so the build has 6GB

my main problem is that i want to upgrade the gpu and don't know what will work with the computer so any suggestions for which gpu to use for gaming will be taken.

also do you think the processor will work for gaming or will that needed to be upgraded too?

thank you in advance for the help

www.amazon.com/.../135-2870397-9186441

July 1st, 2017 13:00

i'm rockin a GTX1070 on my xps 8500!!! but i had to take everything out and put it in a new case and buy a new PSU

OP if you don't have an SSD drive i would def invest in one. as it will make your gaming experience alot better than that clunky HDD!!! and there cheap enough now

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 30th, 2017 23:00

I don't remember anyone here trying one of these for gaming. Perhaps you could post back with the results?

July 1st, 2017 12:00

OP you really need to google out a pc power calculator and put all of your specs in it to see what video card the PSU can handle!!! and if worst comes to worst you might have to give your pc a new home meaning buying a new case and a PSU that can drive the card...

ill post back with benchmarks once I figure out what card to buy, I just don't know what cards would be compatible with the build

No Events found!