Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FC

June 17th, 2011 15:00

Upgrading graphics on my xps 8300

I recently got myself a XPS 8300 which came with a ATI Radeon HD 6670 graphics card fitted. Amongst the list of possible upgrades now shown on the Dell site is the ATI Radeon HD 6950. As Dell charge £350 for this upgrade while the card retails for about £225 I was wondering whether they are likely to install anything else such as a more powerful PSU to justify the extra £125 they have added to the price of the card? Or should I have no issues if I should decide to get this card and fit it myself.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 18th, 2011 05:00

Hi Fly-catchers,

It appears the 460W PSU is stock, so that should be plenty for the HD 6950. It's common to find a better price on upgrades at sites other than Dell. The trade-off is that Dell will support and warranty an upgrade purchased through their site.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2011 09:00

Most often the retail cost of video cards are much less than the upgrade costs from Dell.  This is just something you need to be aware of when configuring a system.  You will normally always have at least a 2 year warranty with a retail card and there are some that have lifetime warranties.  Some people are just not comfortable working inside their computer so they will take the Dell installed card and not worry about it.  Like with anything else, you can save by doing it yourself.  The HD 6950 is one of the top video cards available.  If you feel you need this level of video card for better gaming or something, then the choice is yours to spend the extra money.  However, there are a lot of other choices in between these two cards that could save you money like the HD 6850.  

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 13:00

I currently haver a ati radeon hd 5770 in my comp now. hd 6850 and 6950 are the only ones?? I heard that hd 7790 and hd 7870 should work also. any other choices?

No Events found!