Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2013 13:00

Upgrading system components on a Vostro 220 Series

I have a Vostro 220 (X86) Series Desktop that is running Windows 8 Media Center and Cloud Office

For the most part my computer runs fine. It's only when I am using a powerful photo editing software such as Photoshop, web surfing, and using other programs that the computer crashes, to the point where I reboot several times. 

I don't store files, music, or pics on this computer!

I like this system for the most part, I've had it 5 years and have found it to be stable. I want to upgrade the ram and processor, so that I can reduce my e-waste and am wondering if it's worth it. I think most of you will say, it's cheaper to buy a new system, but it's a project that I have longed to do.

Any advice? I understand that I will have to buy a new motherboard, but what should I consider besides buying a new system. What new parts should I consider?

I currently have 2 GB Ram 32-bit and 250 gb hard drive

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz, 2662 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 29th, 2013 16:00

Thanks for sharing that information!

I have a vga connection from my cpu to the monitor although the monitor has a dvi too. 

Based on the info you provided, would I need to upgrade the motherboard too?

ntap

Not unless, you wish to install a Core 2 Quad processor, then you would also need to upgrade the power supply.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 29th, 2013 14:00

ntap

You don't mention video cards, if you are still using the integrated graphics, install a PCIe x16 discrete video card, can be the best bang for the buck upgrade.

The RAM can be increase to 4gb [2 x 2gb modules]

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Vostro%20220%20Mini%20Tower&Cat=RAM

As your Vostro 220 MT was shipped with a Core 2 Duo processor and a 300w PSU, the maximum processor supported by your motherboard, is the Wolfdale Dual Core E8600 3.33GHz

Prior to installing the processor, you need to upgrade the BIOS to latest version, as support for new Intel CPU's was added with version 1.2.0.

The Vostro 220 MT supports SATA internal hard drives, up to 2tb in size.

Bev. 

3 Posts

October 29th, 2013 16:00

Thanks for sharing that information!

I have a vga connection from my cpu to the monitor although the monitor has a dvi too. 

Based on the info you provided, would I need to upgrade the motherboard too?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 5th, 2013 19:00

ntap

The Radeon HD 7750 PCIe x16 video card works well with the Dell OEM 300w PSU, I'm using the same card in my Inspiron 530 MT, that also has a 300w PSU without any issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161427

Bev.

3 Posts

November 5th, 2013 19:00

Can you recommend a good PCIe x16 discrete video card given the 300w PSU? I upgraded my memory to 4gb and ordered a card from Dell, but the sales person sent me a video card for another type of Dell computer, 220s. 

No Events found!