Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2012 01:00

VGA Problem

I use Dell precision 690 with VGA (NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500). The VGA is making abnormal noise. A friend suggested I unplug the VGA fan cord to lessen the noise but I fink that will damage the VGA since it's the fan that cools it. I also changed the( NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500) with  (NVIDIAQuadro FX 3500) but I'm still experiencing the same problem. Please help me solve this problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 02:00

Hi JAbabio,

From the information you've given us, it does appear to be a problem with the graphics card as you've already tried a different graphics card in the system and you're getting the same issue. Can you answer the following, if that's okay?

1) When did the noise start to occur? Was it after any hardware changes?
2) Can you describe the noise? For example, does it sound like an overspinning fan or does it sound more electrical?
3) Is the noise constant or is it intermittent? Also, does the noise occur when you first switch the system on?
4) If the noise is intermittent, are you able to recreate the noise? For example, does the noise only occur if you are running a lot of programs at the same time?
5) **Before doing this step, please disconnect the power cord from the back of the system.** Please open the system and disconnect then reconnect the following cables (please see the following diagram for locations of the cables - http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws690/en/ug/about.htm#wp1056162):
a) Front Fan - number 2 on the diagram
b) Card Cage Fan - number 3 on the diagram
c) Power - number 5 on the diagram
d) Main Power - number 13 on the diagram
e) Memory Fan - number 31 on the diagram
After you have done this, please switch the system back on. Does this make any difference?
6) Please update the BIOS for your system - to download this, please visit the Drivers and Downloads section of the Support Site. Does this resolve any issues?
7) Please also try running the 32-bit Diagnostics. To do this, switch the system on and press F12 at the Dell Splash Screen to enter the Boot Menu. Here, please select Boot To Utility Partition. After this, select Test System then Extended Test. These tests can take up to 2 hours to complete but test all the hardware in the system. Please make a note of any error codes that you receive

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 06:00

Thanks very much John C. I used one of your solutions and the problem is resolved.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

February 6th, 2012 01:00

Hi JAbabio,

Thanks for letting us know! If there's anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

No Events found!