Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2012 04:00

VOSTRO 200 VIDEO CARD UPGRADE

Hi everybody,

Would like to upgrade my ATI X1300 PRO 256MB video card that is in my VOSTRO 200 Mini tower for now ... a bit more than 4 years.

A : Anybody that made a recent upgrade with Video Card on this - quite old - machine ?

B : Is there any restriction for using for ex a DDR5 Video Card where my VOSTRO 200 memory RAM was DDR2 ?
      Will, for example,  the mother card take in charge this DDR5 ?

C  : A prefered brand, any maximum Mb for this video card ?

Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

February 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi everybody,

Would like to upgrade my ATI X1300 PRO 256MB video card that is in my VOSTRO 200 Mini tower for now ... a bit more than 4 years.

A : Anybody that made a recent upgrade with Video Card on this - quite old - machine ?

B : Is there any restriction for using for ex a DDR5 Video Card where my VOSTRO 200 memory RAM was DDR2 ?
      Will, for example,  the mother card take in charge this DDR5 ?

C  : A prefered brand, any maximum Mb for this video card ?

Thanks for your help.

Your specks HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, say you can get in a ATI HD 5670, I have that card, and found nothing wrong with it. 5670 HERE.

1.5K Posts

February 6th, 2012 06:00

Thanks, confirmed it is used with a VOSTRO 200 MINI TOWER ?

Were you asking another question?  RobinBredin was confirming he has used the HD 5670 on a 300 watt system, but not necessarily the Vostro 200.  

Either DDR5 or DDR3 memory on the video card can be used.  It does not matter that your system memory is DDR2.   The amount of video ram will not matter either.  Most are 1GB on today's cards so that's what you should get.  

Brand preference is really up to the buyer and their past experiences.  Sapphire has been ATI/AMD's top brand.  If you're a first time buyer, you can look at the reviews.  The HD 5670 chip will be the same except the clock speeds may be changed by the manufacturer.  The heatsink and cooler design is also something you should look at for noise and heat related issues.  

There are not too many options left for buying the HD 5670 since it has been replaced by the HD 6670 and you will find these with GDDR5 memory if that is what you're looking to get.  However, you will pay more money for it.   HERE is a popular one with a nice cooler.  

2 Posts

February 6th, 2012 06:00

Thanks, confirmed it is used with a VOSTRO 200 MINI TOWER ?

No Events found!