Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2015 10:00

Vista DVD for old XPS 420

Is it possible for me to buy a replacement Windows Vista Home Premium 32 disc for my old Dell XPS 420?  I need to reinstall the operating system and can't find my original disc.  I do have my product key and service tag.

Thanks,

Terry 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2015 11:00

If you're in the US or Canada, you can ask Dell to provide the disk by completing this form. I don't know if Vista disks are still available or if Dell will charge you for it.

Otherwise, you can always look on eBay, etc for a disk. If you buy a disk, it must be the exact same version of Vista that Dell installed (eg Home Premium, 32-bit) in order for your current product key to work.

But if you're going to reinstall, you might want to consider buying a Win 7 disk with its own valid product key. Run the Win 7 upgrade advisor, free from Microsoft first to see what issues you might have going to Win 7

15 Posts

January 5th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for the help.  I did the form and it responded and provided a phone number.  I might be out of luck.  I can't believe I threw away that Vista disc!!!!!  What an idiot.:(

Terry

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 5th, 2015 21:00

You can find those discs on ebay for a reasonable price.

15 Posts

January 6th, 2015 11:00

Yes, thanks.  I found some discs on eBay last night.

TR

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 7th, 2015 06:00

Its a bit convoluted however you can also download a Windows Vista .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/

As Microsoft are going to stop supporting Windows Vista soon and some can argue that they already have (no Office 2013 support or IE10/11), you might also be better using the Windows 10 Technical Preview. You can evaluate it until Windows 10 is released and then take advantage of a promotional price.

15 Posts

January 7th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the great idea.  I'm going try 10!

Terry

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 7th, 2015 17:00

If you are still using the original HDD, and haven't reformatted it, the recovery partition contains the same image as the original installation disk.

15 Posts

January 9th, 2015 15:00

Thanks KirkD, but the recovery partition is long gone.  It went away a couple years ago when I reinstalled  Vista on the then new SSD.  Unfortunately for me, I lost/disposed of my original Vista DVD.

I did manage to install Win 10 Tech Preview on the new 500 Gb Samsung SSD a couple days ago.  But not before visiting MBR GBT EFI hell.

Terry

No Events found!