Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2008 07:00

Vista Ultimate XPS 430, ATI Radeon HD 4850, dual Dell SP2208WFP - not detecting second display

I am trying to connect my two Dell SP2208WFP monitors to my new XPS 430 with ATI Radeon HD 4850 in Vista Ultimate. Both monitors are working, both DVI cables are working and yet I can't get it to detect that the second monitor is there. The second screen just sits there in powersave mode.

I have tried plugging it in after starting, I have tried old drivers, old catalyst.

The only thing that seems to work is using a DVI to VGA adapter and pluggin the second monitor in like that. If I do that it reciognises it straight away - adds the monitor and then its a simple case of just clicking to expand desktop.

But I dont want one nice DVI display and one VGA one.

Any one got any ideas on this? Thanks in advance

14.4K Posts

December 7th, 2008 07:00

14.4K Posts

December 7th, 2008 08:00

this is what should have come up hope it will help.

How To Enable Dual Display

To demonstrate how to enable dual display, we will use a typical Radeon™ X1900 XT with VIVO functionality as an example. VIVO is the abbreviation for Video-In/Video-Out. Video-In is required for capture functionality. To enable dual display with the ATI Radeon™ X1950 VIVO, you can use any of the following external displays:

1. Analog monitor (VGA)
  2. Digital monitor (DVI and/or VGA)
  3. Projector (DVI, Component, HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Composite)
  4. Standard TV sets (Composite or S-Video)
  5. HDTV ready TV sets (Component, DVI, HDMI)

Note: If you purchased a white-box/refurbished product, or your graphics card was preinstalled in your computer, you might not have any accessories in the box. However they can be purchased from ATI shop.

*Note: Model may not be exactly as shown

*Note: A 7-pin connection refers to a TV-Out connection, which supports only Video-Out feature.

See below the accessories needed for dual display feature. If you purchased the retail box version of a ATI Radeon™ X1950 VIVO series, the accessories below are included in the box except VGA-HDTV adapter.

Connect External Display:

• Connect the external display to desired port of your graphics card.
  • Use any of the above accessories, if needed.
  • Open Catalyst Control Center™ in Advanced View.
  • From the Graphics Settings tree, click Displays Manager.
  • The image of a monitor will appear under “Attached displays currently disabled”. If it doesn’t, click on Detect Displays.
  • Right-Click on it and select Extend, Clone, Stretch horizontally or Stretch vertically.

• At each selection of the above options you will get a notification to confirm the setting. Click on Yes to continue.

• Once the settings have been confirmed the image of the monitor will move to the box beside Main. The right-click will now provide three more options to choose from:
    • Rotate
    • Swap display mapping
    • Disable

Extend Main onto Monitor

Clone Main with Monitor

Stretch Main horizontally onto monitor

Stretch Main vertically onto monitor

Did this answer your question?

3 Posts

December 7th, 2008 08:00

I just get a blank page when I follow this link - do I need to download the firefly client? Thanks.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2008 09:00

Ok - thanks for the reply that is really helpful - just to check that I am not being stupid though - does this mean that you can't do dual display to 2 lcd screens using 2 DVI cables through the 2 DVI outpus on the Radeon 4850?

No Events found!