Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2009 10:00

Vista/XP

I have ordered a new Dell XPS 630 and of course it comes with Vista as it operating system.I was wondering if I would be able to switch out the hard drive from my Dell Dimension 8200 so I can continue to use XP?

8 Posts

Thanks for the reply but I really have no idea what you just said...sorry I am not as advanced as most here.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

If only it was that easy.

8 Posts

March 31st, 2009 11:00

I think you are right I will give vista a chance thaks for all you help.

2.2K Posts

Keep in mind that unless the Vista you prchase is Business or Ultimate, there is no downgrade right granted.

If, for example, you buy Vista Premium, you would not be able to use your OEM XP disc legally. You would need to buy a new copy of XP.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

Tony112,

No, you cannot just install the hard disk drive into the XPS 630 and turn it on. Every device in the XPS 630 will need its own XP driver. The drivers from the 8200 will not work. What you are looking to do is to find the XP operating system CD, boot from that CD, install the operating system onto the XPS 630 hard disk drive, then, install all of the XP drivers. This is not an easy thing to do if you have never done it. My suggestion is to try Vista and see how you like it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

I have ordered a new Dell XPS 630 and of course it comes with Vista as it operating system.I was wondering if I would be able to switch out the hard drive from my Dell Dimension 8200 so I can continue to use XP?

Tony112

Cannot be done, you need to install XP and all the applicable XP drivers and applications on the XPS 630

The XPS 630 drivers and applications for XP are HERE

Bev.

872 Posts

March 31st, 2009 20:00

2.2K Posts

March 31st, 2009 21:00

"but you could take the windows xp operating system cd that came with your dimension 8200 and install windows xp on your new machine."

As I stated previously, this would not be legal unless the new version of Vista is Ultimate or Business....

872 Posts

April 1st, 2009 14:00

2.2K Posts

April 1st, 2009 15:00

"however the op already purchased xp for the 8200 that he/she is retiring.  that license for xp is what i am talking about.  the license agreement for xp oem editions that i have seen say some such thing about it only to be used with the 'computer' that it came with. "

The OEM XP license IS tied to the computer it came with. It MAY NOT legally be transferred to the new machine. That is simply not a debatable point, nor are the details.

MS is very clear about what is and is not allowed. Parts may be replaced and upgraded. The exception is the motherboard. A repalcement motherboard of the same model number is allowed, but a motherboard change or upgrade is considered a new machine and a new OEM licenses required. This information is all very easy to find using Google or something similar.

Of course I don't agree with your post. It is wrong and encourages illegal activities, which is a violation of the forum's terms of service yo agreed to when you opened your account.

872 Posts

April 1st, 2009 16:00

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 1st, 2009 17:00

Last year I upgraded a 5.5 year home built system, that had a Abit motherboard, Socket A processor, AGP card and an OEM 2002 copy of XP.

Installed in the same case, a new Asus motherboard, Socket AM-2 4800+ Dual Core processor, PCIx16 card, 2xSATA HD's and 2g of RAM and I thought, 'what the heck' let's try reinstalling the old OEM 2002 XP and see what happens.

The installation went well and on booting into windows, received the infamous 'You have 30 days to activate XP' notice and to contact Microsoft, I called the 800 number given on the screen and 'low and behold' the Microsoft automated 'Voice' gave me a new COA without a problem, that I entered into the appropriate boxes and the computer was activated.

Went to Microsoft's download site for all the updates and the rebuild system passed Microsoft's 'Genuine Check' without  problems.

Bev.

872 Posts

2.2K Posts

Some of the comments in your post sounld like you have personal issues with MS, and that is perhaps clouding reasonable advice.

Less than five minutes on Google found the following, put out directly by Microsoft. People can use it as they wish, and if they feel more comfortable contacting a lawyer, no hurt feeleings here... But by the time they pay for the lawyer, it'd be cheaper just to buy a new version of the OS anyway....

1. Can I transfer my operating system license from an old PC to a new one?

ANSWER. Not unless it was purchased as a Full-Packaged Product from a retail store (i.e., Windows in a box). Current OEM licenses for all Microsoft operating system products are not transferable from one machine to another.

2.   If I “retire” a PC with an OEM license on it, can I use that software on a new PC?

ANSWER. No. To put it simply, OEM product is “married” to the original PC on which it was installed. Current OEM licenses are not transferable from one machine to another.

3.        If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?

ANSWER.  The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive

4.      Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?

ANSWER.  Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required.

2.2K Posts

April 1st, 2009 23:00

I quoted the above document from Microsoft as I said. Your earlier post indicated you'd seen the EULA and did not fully understand it and the distinction of what makes up a system when it comes to transferring the OEM license. I figured the Q and A format would help you.

Here is link so you can see those facts from Microsoft, as you apparently did not take my word for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Scroll down to the bottom where it says "More Information." It clearly discusses the motherboard question.

You are not paying twice for it. The OEM license paid for was cheaper because it does not grant transferability rights.

Justify the violations as you wish. It does not change the fact that it is still a violation of the EULA.

In case you choose not to read the link, and for the benefit of other readers, here is the key information:

"Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty."

No Events found!