Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2007 03:00

Vista x64 reboot problems with XPS 710

I just received my new XPS 710 with XP Media Center Edition '05 today (specs in sig), and jumped right in to setting up a dual boot configuration with my copy of Vista Ultimate x64. Despite a few problems relating to 4GB of RAM (which were resolved by simply removing two sticks while installing Vista), everything appears to be working great. However, if I attempt to reboot the computer from Vista, upon restarting and bringing up the "DELL" logo screen, the short gray progress bar hangs about 1/4 of the way. To be clear, this is the screen which prompts you to enter BIOS or Boot Setup via the function keys, and the gray bar which "hangs" says "XPS 710" above it with the BIOS version below. I have upgraded the BIOS to version 1.4.1 but it did not help. The only way around the issue is to hold the power button in for a few seconds to shut the machine down completely, then I can power up the machine as normal with no problems. Rebooting from XP is also no problem. However, as you can imagine, this can become quite annoying when installing software. Is there anything I can do?

3.3K Posts

June 21st, 2007 09:00

try this,
Go into your bios and set USB to "no boot"

23 Posts

June 21st, 2007 15:00

Thanks, but unfortunately that did not help. I just disabled the onboard/USB boot option by pressing the space bar (without deleting it altogether). That is the option you're referring to, correct? Also, I forgot to mention in my original post that the 2, 3, and 4 numbers stay illuminated on the front of my chassis when the boot hangs.

3.3K Posts

June 21st, 2007 16:00

No, actually what I was refering to, is what I said above  into bios, and I believe under onboard devices, I think, there is an option to set USB to "no boot". I had to do this on my 700 with the 32 bit edition of Vista to get it to post.
  It is clearly a USB issue.

A possible USB failure has occurred.

Reinstall all USB devices and check all cable connections

23 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 03:00

Thanks very much for the clarification! I changed it again, however it still was unable to fix the problem. The machine actually only had one single USB device plugged in (my Das Keyboard II). Upon making use of a simple USB -> PS/2 adapter and using the keyboard on the keyboard port, it is able to reboot with no problem! I was also very pleased to discover that other USB devices do not seem to be causing the same problem - it must have something to do with my keyboard. Thank you very much for your help!

3.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 09:00

Wow, thats strange. Is it an older keyboard?

23 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 11:00

Nope, it's not old at all - I received it only six months ago for Christmas and the product has been quite popular for at least a year now. If you've never seen it before, check it out - I can't recommend it enough. :)
No Events found!