Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2015 14:00

Vostro 200 Desktop has power, but doesn't turn on

I turned my desktop off for a couple of weeks while away traveling.  I can no longer turn it on. There is power connected (circuit board shows green light on when power cord is plugged in) but nothing happens when I push the on/off switch.  Any suggestions on what I can do before I go out and replace it?  The fan doesn't even turn on.....

wjp

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2015 21:00

I turned my desktop off for a couple of weeks while away traveling.  I can no longer turn it on. There is power connected (circuit board shows green light on when power cord is plugged in) but nothing happens when I push the on/off switch.  Any suggestions on what I can do before I go out and replace it?  The fan doesn't even turn on.....

wjp

wpreuss

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

The Vostro 200 Mini Tower Troubleshooter is Here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2015 15:00

Hi Bev:

With the power cord plugged in, on the circuit board, there is a steady amber light. On the back of the tower, there is a steady green light. Nothing happens when the power button is turned on/off.  No sounds. no message.   The fan does not start up, nor does the CPU.   I checked to connections (main power and front panel) and they are secure.   It's just "dead" so to speak.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 14th, 2015 10:00

Hi Bev:

With the power cord plugged in, on the circuit board, there is a steady amber light. On the back of the tower, there is a steady green light. Nothing happens when the power button is turned on/off.  No sounds. no message.   The fan does not start up, nor does the CPU.   I checked to connections (main power and front panel) and they are secure.   It's just "dead" so to speak.

Thanks.

wpreuss

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has no issues.

If the power button LED, is not lite, this could indicate either a power supply failure, or a motherboard issue, best to install a "Know working power supply", to if this makes a difference, as this required to check the motherboard.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

The Vostro 200 Mini Tower Troubleshooter is Here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Posts

December 14th, 2015 17:00

Bev:

Thank you; I was thinking it might be my power supply before reading your response. Of note, the power button on the front of the tower does not have ANY light, of any color when the tower is plugged in. I'll be certain to either test a known power supply (if I can pull one from a machine I no longer use) or else buy a new one to make to be sure. 

I really appreciate your help!  

No Events found!