Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

11 Posts

July 18th, 2009 19:00

pjricc,

I would need at least 9 other customers to report the issue before I can even escalate it to engineering. The keyboard is using a PC rear USB port?

never thought i would actually find a forum discussing this! i have exactly the same issue. just bought the logitech illuminated keyboard 2 weeks ago and gosh, it really slows down my BIOS boot time like the OP mentioned above. F2 and F12 doesn't work either. the logitech keyboard works fine after vista boots though. would really like to see a solution to this...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 13th, 2009 10:00

jov987,

Try loading an older bios and see if the issue continues.

2 Posts

May 13th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried flashing 1.0.3 and 1.0.4, but both came up with an error along the lines of "You are flashing an older version of the BIOS", then it exits without doing anything.

Actually, I think I had the 1.0.3 before I upgraded to 1.1.4... Same problem.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2009 11:00

I wish I had thought to research this issue prior to buying the Logitech Illuminated keyboard for my Dell Vostro 420.

I, too, am experiencing the exact problem - BIOS pauses while booting up for about two minutes, after this the progress bar continues but the F2/F12 keys, which typically are accepted to launch into BIOS settings or Boot Manager, are not accepted.

Once Windows is fully booted the keyboard works fully (well, as fully as possible under the buggy Logitech Setpoint software).

it seems that the BIOS version, 1.1.14, has some type of issue with this keyboard - other USB keyboards are recognized by it.  Apparently another company's BIOS was also affected in a similar manner - Owners of Asrock laptops (never heard of them) reported this problem and Asrock released a BIOS update in April that addressed this very issue.

Is there a way to officially report this issue to Dell for investigation into a BIOS fix?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 14th, 2009 09:00

pjricc,

I would need at least 9 other customers to report the issue before I can even escalate it to engineering. The keyboard is using a PC rear USB port?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 18th, 2009 20:00

I have been looking for other reports of this coming into the call centers and am not seeing it. Have you considered having Dell replace those keyboards?

11 Posts

July 18th, 2009 21:00

I have been looking for other reports of this coming into the call centers and am not seeing it. Have you considered having Dell replace those keyboards?

i don't know about the others, but i thought it was a logitech issue and have been in contact with logitech support for over two weeks on this. no solution so far, though in our last correspondence, logitech support asked me to upgrade my bios with dell to see if that could work.

i don't know what you mean by "having dell replace those keyboards" ? the issue is not with the keyboard as it works fine with other desktop computers. seems to be just my vostro 220, or perhaps a general issue with dell BIOS.  anyway, i'll keep my eyes on this thread in the meantime.

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 21:00

Add me to the list.  Purchased a new Vostro 220 and the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard causes a hang at startup.  The keyboard worked fine with the previous computer.  I actually was not aware it would ever make any forward progress, so that's interesting; but 1-2 minutes is still unacceptable.

The same hang occurs if you plug in the keyboard after entering setup with the Dell keyboard; not sure if it resolves after waiting.

Possibly unrelated, but the first (and only) time I plugged it into a running system, it seemed to work fine; I then unplugged it.  On shutdown, the system got into a "wait state" (hung, but progress "circle" still spinning).  Again, I don't know if that one would have resolved; I powered off after a minute or two of waiting.

I understand needing a quorum of complaints before escalation, but this sounds like a 100% repro to me so it's only a matter of time before 10 people have this keyboard/machine combo.  Personally, I was never patient enough to realize it would boot eventually; so I was on the verge of RMAing the computer.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem but with my new Dell Studio XPS435T running Vista x64. I have contacted Logitech and I've only received one response (unhelpful) to several emails and a couple of submissions on their website.

The keyboard works fine on a WinXP machine we have, and regular USB keyboards work fine on the new Dell.

Microsoft spends millions trying to shave off seconds boot up times, and Logitech and Dell seem to have no problem with hardware they sell adding a couple of minutes to start up.

11 Posts

August 2nd, 2009 09:00

seems like we still need about 5 more users with the same issue before Dell would do something about it...

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

Add me to the list too. I have the same problem with my new Vostro 420 and the Illuminated Keybord +  the MX1100 Cordless Laser Mouse (also Logitech). I still hope a solution is coming soon by Dell ...otherwise I'll send keybord + mouse back. But I wouldn't like it ...

simon06
Germany

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

I need service tags from the following sent to me in a private message -

jov987
pjricc
cachecacher
ripfester
simon06
Tuck333

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 13:00

Sorry, I'm new ...Where can I find Your e-mail-Address?

simon06

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 16:00

Definitely add me to the list......was so excited to get my new logitech illuminated keyboard....however I saw my screen was freezing up on teh bios splash screen (1/4 way through) for over 1 min! (One time over 1;30).  Soon as I switched my keyboard out it went back to normal

I have a new XPS 435T w Vista X64 (with the famous (not really avail) bios version A09) *L*

11 Posts

August 4th, 2009 21:00

Sorry, I'm new ...Where can I find Your e-mail-Address?

simon06

just click on his username/avatar and then click on "send a message"

No Events found!