Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

11 Posts

August 17th, 2009 15:00

i sent a pm to Chris (Dell) on 04 Aug but have not heard from him since. his last post here was on 03 Aug. are we forgotten? i hope not...

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 18th, 2009 07:00

I have not received anything from engineering. This will take some time. This looks to be a Logitech issue. We and HP just have to convince them of it.

20 Posts

August 18th, 2009 18:00

And the bottom line is that this will never be resolved :emotion-6:

Dell blames Logitech and Logitech blames Dell. I bought both the keyboard and the 435T from Dell and no one wants to aggressively try to solve this problem. I'll be listing my illuminated keyboard on eBay soon.

33 Posts

August 18th, 2009 19:00

I also have a Vostro 420 that hangs 1-2 minutes while booting with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. The bios (v 1.1.4) cannot be accessed, since the F2 key is not recognized. Once Windows loads, then the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is recognized and works.

Chris M has my Vostro service tag and request for a bios update.

The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is not the only backlighted keyboard that the Vostro bios does not properly recognize. A Saitek Eclipse PZ230AU also has the same exact problem as the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

But the Vostro bios failure to recognize the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, does not happen with a NON-backlighted keyboard. I've tried three non-backlighted keyboards and none of them hang during booting. And all of them can enter bios through F2.

Two of the non-backlighted keyboards only work with USB connection and one works with either USB or PS/2. Using either USB or PS/2 the non-backlighted keyboards do not cause the Vostro 420 to hang while booting. The problem seems to be with backlighted keyboards.

(The two backlighted keyboards I've tried both require a USB connection. I don't know if a PS/2 backlighted keyboard would be recognized by the Vostro 420.)

Logitech support has not given any indication if they will have a fix for their Illuminated Keyboard.

My guess is the Vostro bios needs an update for backlighted keyboards.

Recently, I've been told by Dell phone support that this forum thread is being monitored by Dell and to check back here for an answer when the bios might be updated.

So, thanks Chris M for staying on this and the other Dell reps who are following this.

8 Posts

August 20th, 2009 14:00

I get the feeling (from looking at their forums) that Logitech won't be providing a fix or help of any kind. At this point it looks like Dell will have to resolve this issue for us. Hopefully sooner than later. For now the keyboard sits in the box.

1 Message

August 26th, 2009 13:00

I just uploaded and install the new A13 bios upgrade to my new (1 week old) 435T, didn't help the logitech keybord problem at all. Called your tech people and talked to some gal who was as dumb as a fence post. I know that dell was one heck of company back in the 1980's , real cutting edge. Now I am very disappointed with every department I interface with. It reminds me of good old AOL, when they moved from a company with some integrity to absolute preditors on the public. They didn't last long after that, less than a  year, I am afraid even if dell has a good engineering department the bean counters will eventually chase  off all the loyal customers like me. That is why many return to buy new equipment from Dell, it was the good reputation of quality. Now you are abandoning your the very people who are keeping your company alive. Sad to see.

7 Posts

August 26th, 2009 21:00

I hope this problem gets resolved, as I had the opportunity to check out a friend's illuminated keyboard, and now I really want one for my XPS 435.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2009 21:00

Yes the same problem occurs with DELL Studio XPS 435T and same keyboard.  Using a PS/2 keyboard with the appropriate adapter fixes both problems (bios delay and inability to boot into bios).  Conclusion is that bios and keyboard are incompatible.  I expect DELL to replace the keyboard or fix BIOS.

May have to do with BIOS reading keyboard before providing power to kybd.  Notice that kybd starts out dark and turns on AFTER DELL screen appears.  Even though my PS/2 kybd also has lights, they are on all the time.  Just a hunch.

6 Posts

September 8th, 2009 11:00

As uusual.....like wit hthe esata problem with the previous XPS line (which they NEVER fixed)...Dell is doing sqaut about this and leaving us hanging.  Seriously, have been a Dell fan for over a Deacade....but this lack of professionalism, lack of service and being ignored....well....I might jump to HP in the future, Dell has gotten so big to ignore and bury things which are legitimately wrong.

3 Posts

September 15th, 2009 03:00

I own a Dell Studio XPS 435T that is also experiencing this problem.  I get the long delay during boot screen and I am unable to use the illuminated keyboard for F2/F12.

30 Posts

September 16th, 2009 07:00

Add me to the list as having the same problems with the Logitech Illuminated keyboard on my new XPS 435T. I just spent at least two weeks escalating the problem with Logitech, ultimately returning the keyboard for a brand new replacement. SAME PROBLEM - system hangs for about two minutes at bios screen, unable to use the keyboard to enter bios.

Interesting note: I took the keyboard to work and plugged it into the Dell Studio Vista64 quad-core they bought for me earlier this year and it works fine.

Please advise engineering's response to this issue. I would not assume that "this looks to be a Logitech issue". Why would it work on my Studio but not my Studio XPS?

Now to see if I can find out why I can't find a UPS that works with my 435T.

20 Posts

September 17th, 2009 15:00

The only UPS I could find that works with my 435T is the APC SUA1000. I bought a used one on eBay and it works but it is a big and heavy unit.

30 Posts

September 17th, 2009 17:00

Just curious, how was the battery in the used UPS?

20 Posts

September 17th, 2009 21:00

Just curious, how was the battery in the used UPS?

The guy I got the used UPS from replaces the battery with a brand new one before selling them. The UPS is several years old but the battery is new.

6 Posts

September 21st, 2009 06:00

Tell me about it!! I wasted another $90 on a new UPS because I thought my old one (for around teh same price) was bad.  Turns out Dell,, AGAIN in their infinite stupidity.....did not make their component (power supply) compatible with mainstream UPS.   You need to buy a SMART UPS..one that produces a "sine wave" output.    I found one on ebay I may buy, but even they refurbished one is over $150 (new it costs over $300).

Come on Dell.....how many more ways do you intend to invade my anal cavity???????

No Events found!