Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2010 23:00

Vostro 220: Help me!!

I have a Vostro 220. Last night, I put it to sleep mode. This morning, I found that it was off. When I turned it on, the power button glowed amber instead of the usual blue, I don't hear the usaul beep, and no signals are transmitted to my monitor (neither digital nor analog.) The computer otherwise runs normally. Basically, the computer isn't working.
I checked the official DELL website and multiple forum. Most of them have simaler solutions. I have tried multiple solutions:
-remove and reinstall memory
-remove and reinstall graphics card
-remove and reindtall most wires
-remove and reinstall hard drive
-remove most dust
-check for disconnected wires/devices
-tried different power outlets
-disconnected devices (such as keyboards) that might interfere

DELL's website says that either the computer's power is screwing up or a device is malfunctioning.

I also noticed something odd. On my computer there is a switch to change voltage 115 and 230 (I tried both.) The odd part is that the cable which comes from the outlet to the computer says 120 volts. When I bought the computer, this same cable is what came with it.

Ever since I have had this computer, I never fiddles with the insides or the power. All other devices are working fine including the computer I am using to type this out.
I think it's also worth mentioning that wheb I turn it on, it does so and stays like that for about 5 seconds, shuts down, and automatically turns on again (after that. it stays on.)

(BTW: I've had this computer for over a year and my warrenty expired so don't mention it)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2010 11:00

I have a Vostro 220. Last night, I put it to sleep mode. This morning, I found that it was off. When I turned it on, the power button glowed amber instead of the usual blue, I don't hear the usaul beep, and no signals are transmitted to my monitor (neither digital nor analog.) The computer otherwise runs normally. Basically, the computer isn't working.
I checked the official DELL website and multiple forum. Most of them have simaler solutions. I have tried multiple solutions:
-remove and reinstall memory
-remove and reinstall graphics card
-remove and reindtall most wires
-remove and reinstall hard drive
-remove most dust
-check for disconnected wires/devices
-tried different power outlets
-disconnected devices (such as keyboards) that might interfere

DELL's website says that either the computer's power is screwing up or a device is malfunctioning.

I also noticed something odd. On my computer there is a switch to change voltage 115 and 230 (I tried both.) The odd part is that the cable which comes from the outlet to the computer says 120 volts. When I bought the computer, this same cable is what came with it.

Ever since I have had this computer, I never fiddles with the insides or the power. All other devices are working fine including the computer I am using to type this out.
I think it's also worth mentioning that wheb I turn it on, it does so and stays like that for about 5 seconds, shuts down, and automatically turns on again (after that. it stays on.)

(BTW: I've had this computer for over a year and my warrenty expired so don't mention it)

MarioSonic1Fan

Please explain, as this is a first for me,  do you reside in the US, or in europe, eg UK and did you power the system on, using the different voltage settings?

is the power switch LED blinking amber, or a steady amber?

Bev.

August 31st, 2010 15:00

I reside in New Jersey (USA), using higher voltage setting the computer can only gather enough energy to have the power LED glow the usual amber, the LED is steady and does not blink nor beep. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2010 08:00

Disconnect everything on the outside.

set it to 120V if you are in the usa

try turning it on with no power cable attached to discharge the power supply

Disconnect the data and power cable from the hard drive.

Attach power cable only and try to turn on.

if its still amber then the power supply may be toast.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2010 11:00

Which Supply would depend on the DPN  dell Part number on the supply.

Psychic computer repair is not very reliable.

Could be that Lightning hit your pc and everything is fried.

New power supply would not help in that situtation.

More analysis would be needed to determine if the cpu, ram, hard drive are still alive.

The cost of the diagnostics would exceed the cost of buying a used Optiplex GX620 tower.

At least where I live.  I can get them for about $250.

The TOWER vostro doesnt use the same supply as the Slim Line or USFF Vostro.

VOSTRO TOWER Bestec ATX0300D5WB ATX-0300D5WB Revision X3 Dell 
Replacement Power Supply 300W Part Number XW601 XW600 XW599

DELL Vostro 200 power supply slim desktop case

PSU for SFF Small Form Factor Slim Inspiron 530s, 531s, Vostro 200s, 200 (slim only), 220s,

Studio 540s Identical Dell Part Numbers XW605, YX301, XW604, XW784, XW783, YX299, YX303,

6423C, K423C, N038C, H856C, YX302, XW602

Compatible Model Numbers: TFX0250D5W, DPS-250AB-28 B, 04G185021200DE

September 1st, 2010 12:00

So... What should I do exactly?

By the way, I think it is worth mentioning I have 2 close friends who work for DELL, do you think they could help?

September 1st, 2010 20:00

bump

September 2nd, 2010 20:00

BUMP!

September 3rd, 2010 19:00

BUMP!!!!!!!!

6 Posts

February 14th, 2011 12:00

I have quite a few Dell Vostros and everyone I have that has a Bestec power supply has popped and all right after the warranty expired. My guess is this is what happen to yours. I would replace the PSU with a non Bestec PSU.

1 Message

September 29th, 2014 13:00

I just had the same issue,  it turn out to be the network cable that was stooping my unit from booting.  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 30th, 2014 16:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!