Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2012 02:00

Vostro 260MT Latency/Delay from Line In ???

Basically I am trying to play my guitar into the line in of the computer, (which I was able to do on my previous computer) but when ever I play a note there is a miniscule delay between the time I play the note, and the time it comes out the speakers, which obviously makes it impossible to play anything at all!. I have already updated Conexant drivers and have played around with it's 'SmartAudio' program to no avail, if anyone knows how to fix this I will be FLABBERGASTED because I haven't been able to find anything resembling a solution to this SEEMINGLY minor problem.

November 30th, 2012 22:00

PROBLEM SOLVED: It turns out whilst the sound blaster eliminated 'play back latency' it did not eliminate 'recording latency' so I've discovered that what I needed was an "AUDIO INTERFACE". This is what I got and it has reduced ALL latency and is working beautifully: www.behringer.com/.../UCA202.aspx It was only $45.

Also with this specific Audio Interface you just need to download the updated drivers from their website here: www.behringer.com/.../...Downloads.aspx

And also because it uses ASIO you need to set the audio device to 'Behringer USB Audio' within the properties of your DAW and configure the ASIO settings from there (if need be). It will look something like this (from within Adobe Audition CS6):

YouTube.com/ashs35

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 9th, 2012 20:00

poisongodmachine,

Honestly, your asking for alot of performance value out of the low end integrated audio. My advice would be to purchase a good PCIe x1 sound card. The issue is that they are not cheap. Something like this.

November 10th, 2012 02:00

I'm asking a lot to have a functioning 'line-in' on my computer for onwards of $600? lol. My previous computer was capable of doing this and it was half the price. Actually I've just bought an external USB sound card for $30 so you don't exactly have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix this issue, nor do you have to mess around with the hardware.

November 13th, 2012 22:00

Just hooked up the 'Creative Sound Blaster Play!' and the latency and delay has GONE!, the only thing is, the output of the computer going to the speakers has to be coming from the headphone socket of the Sound Blaster (might save someone 30 mins of screwing around), it's amazing how you can pay $600 for a brand new custom built Dell and it doesn't even have a working 'LINE IN' on it, when you can just buy one for $30! (which is probably more Conexant's fault) but still Dell sell computers saying it has a 'LINE IN' when really they should be calling it a 'DELAYED LINE IN'. Any how problem solved.

November 15th, 2012 23:00

UPDATE: Well, although I thought I had the problem solved, as there is no latency coming from the speakers when playing the guitar, there is however latency when I am trying to 'record' what I am playing, it is only a tiny amount of delay, but it makes it impossible to multi-track, as whatever you are recording is recorded out of time to the click track/metronome, even though there is no latency when playing along to the click track. So when you play it back, the metronome is always faster than what you played.

So I have contacted 'Creative' and they said to do these steps, however I have no idea how to do the first step, so if anyone knows how to do that?? I will be very impressed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ensure that the headset/soundcard uses a USB Host that is on an individual IRQ slot. This means that no other devices in the PC can be sharing this IRQ.

2. If you are running a hyper-threaded CPU, turn off Hyperthreading from the BIOS. Consult your motherboard's documentation for more information on how to turn off Hyperthreading.

3. Launch Windows Control Panel and do the following: Change Processor Scheduling to Background Services. Navigate to the advanced page of the System applet. Click on the Performance Settings button. Select the Advanced tab and click on Background Services for Processor Scheduling.

4. Switch Off Power Schemes. In the Power Options applet, choose the Always On power scheme. Change the settings for Monitor and Hard Disk Turn off and System standby to 'Never' (this will prevent your PC from not responding during song playback).

5. Disable System Sounds. Select the 'No Sounds' scheme under the Sounds tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices applet.

6. Where possible, disable your Network Interface Card (NIC), Wi-Fi, Modem, and any non critical USB devices and check whether the noise has been reduced or eliminated.

(comes from: support.creative.com/.../ShowArticle.aspx)

No Events found!