Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2011 18:00

WHQL Driver Update for Dimension E521

I own a Dell Dimension E521, OS Vista, SP2.  Recently I purchased an Acer widescreen monitor and I am having problems with at least 2 of its capabilities.  Individual pattern settings in the eDisplay Management freezes the screen whenever I use it and the Pivot Pro pivots the display but the webpage does change back up to accommodate reading.     I was told by Acer to update the video driver which is a Nvidia Geforce 650 LE.  Dell does not have an update for the video driver, however Nvidia has a Nvidia 270.61 WHQL update for the Geforce 650 LE.  Is the 270.61 WHQL update safe to install?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 10th, 2011 19:00

Did the Acer monitor come with a driver CD that you need to install to take advantage of all its features?

Video drivers from nvidia.com are always more up-to-date than the ones Dell offers. And yes they are generally safe, as long as it's compatible with your video card and version of Windows. The one you mentioned is WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified so it meets Microsoft's standards (however high or low those are! :emotion-4:)

Suggest you manually set a System Restore point before installing the new driver. And be sure to follow the instructions to install the new one. Download the new driver onto your desktop. Then uninstall the old one in Device Manager, and reboot before installing the new driver. Don't install the new one 'on-top' of the old one.

Ron

322 Posts

May 11th, 2011 20:00

Thank you Ron for your reply.

The Acer CD did not come with a driver.  Basically it contained a manual (which is practically useless), an eDisplay Management, which assists in adjustments for the monitor and a Pivot program.   What concerns me is when I tried to update the Nvidia driver through the Device Manager , the results were I had the most recent update.  Yet the drivers date is 12/07/2006!  For now I think I will do nothing.

Regards

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 11th, 2011 21:00

That's my point. After a while Dell stops providing updated drivers for "old" systems.

If I look for a video driver for my system, the last one Dell offered is from 2004, but I got a new driver directly from nvidia.com last week. So don't use Device Manager to update. Go to nvidia's site and grab the new one.

Your monitor's features were probably unthinkable back in 2006, so you'll probably need the new one to take advantage of its nifty features.

Ron

322 Posts

May 12th, 2011 13:00

Thanks again.

No Events found!