Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 14:00

Wake on LAN not working on Optiplex 9020

I am not able to get Wake on LAN to work on an Optiplex 9020 (small form factor).  I have the following BIOS settings under Power Management:
- Deep Sleep Control -> Disabled- Wake on LAN -> LAN Only
- Block Sleep -> Block Sleep (S3 State)

I have the following settings for the Intel Ethernet I217-LM card:
- Wake on Magic Packet from power off state -> Enabled
- Wake on Magic Packet - > Enabled
- Wake on Pattern Match -> Enabled

When the computer is powered off, the network card has NO LIGHTS.  Does that mean that Wake on LAN is not properly configured?  What setting am I missing?

In case this is relevant: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Thank you.
Jerry

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

March 28th, 2014 04:00

Stephen,

Are the LEDs on the network adapter lit when you try WOL?

Have you followed the step-by-step on my blog?

http://techie-blog.blogspot.de/2014/03/making-wake-on-lan-wol-work-in-windows.html

Anguel

April 29th, 2014 02:00

Btw, it works from the Sleep mode. But not from complete shutdown.

April 29th, 2014 02:00

My Wake-on-LAN doesn't work either. I recently bought the new Optiplex 9020 (NOT small form). I downgraded the BIOS to A02 and I am running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. My older PC (when WoL was working smoothly) was plugged into the same port, so it is not a network issue. The network adapter is indeed I217-LM. Any tips?

7 Posts

April 29th, 2014 04:00

1. BIOS: wake on lan(enabled) , deep sleep control(disabled)1. BIOS: wake on lan(enabled) , deep sleep control(disabled)

2. Windows 7: update the network driver(I217-LM) to the latest (e.g. 19.0)https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20*&DownloadType=Drivers)

2. Windows 7: update the network driver(I217-LM) to the latest (e.g. 19.0)https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20*&DownloadType=Drivers)

May 1st, 2014 00:00

That seems to have done the trick! It works now. Thanks a lot!!

13 Posts

May 5th, 2014 00:00

None of the above posts has worked for me. I spoke to Dell with a view to having my Windows 8.1 OptiPlex 9020 replaced. They suggested I update to all current drivers and BIOS then set Deep Sleep to Disabled and Wake on Lan to check the Lan with PXE boot. Has anyone else done this? Could be a further waste of time with this PC. Anyway last roll of the dice.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

May 12th, 2014 09:00

Don't like to repeat, but have you followed my guide?

http://techie-blog.blogspot.de/2014/03/making-wake-on-lan-wol-work-in-windows.html

Anguel

1 Message

May 27th, 2014 18:00

I followed Anguel's guide and it worked perfectly without requiring any changes to BIOS version or NIC drivers. Thanks Anguel

14 Posts

June 25th, 2014 08:00

UPDATE:  We just received an order of Optiplex 9020s (mini tower form factor) that were pre-loaded with BIOS A07.  Threw a basic Windows 7 image on one, updated BIOS settings as indicated in my earlier post, sent a WOL request to the machine, and........SUCCESS!  Looks like A07 has resolved the issue.

1 Message

July 1st, 2014 05:00

Hello,

Just to complete: as of today july 1st 2014, my 9020 was received with Bios A07 already installed and setting the BIOS parameters "Wake on lan" to LAN Only and "Deep Sleep..." to Disabled made the wake on lan working fine.

With "Deep Sleep..." set to factory default (Sx and Sy), the WOL was not working.

Best regards

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

July 7th, 2014 08:00

With "Deep Sleep..." set to factory default (Sx and Sy), the WOL was not working.

Yes, maybe Dell needs to comply with some power saving requirements and therefore enables Deep Sleep in favor of Wake-On-LAN? Whatever the reason is, it is extremely annoying that this is not clearly documented.

Also, you are probably using Windows 7 if this works for you with BIOS settings only, in Windows 8.x you additionally need to go to Windows power management and manually DISABLE "fast startup" as I described here:

Anguel

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

August 6th, 2014 10:00

I have to admit this is really frustrating. I have a lab that uses about 40 of these and I still can't get WOL working.

We image our machines using the latest CABs from Dell using SCCM 2012.

We're using 32bit Win7 and I've followed all the BIOS recommendations here including: Disable Deep Sleep, disable S3 sleep. Disable power management in the O/S on the NIC driver.

I've even tried WOL, Lan only, with PXE, etc, etc. Even tried UEFI on and off...

Here's the weird thing. If I adjust any 'power management' type setting I will get 1 WOL boot off of the PC. I've verified this on 3 different 9020's. It will only work once, then it's back to not working, and the time it works, it tries booting off the network! Even if I change the boot order, or remove devices from the boot order. (By this time WOL completely breaks anyway so it's a broken experiment.)

Even disabling  power management in the NIC driver on the OS let's me get one (network only) WOL boot. Very frustrating...

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

August 7th, 2014 08:00

Thank you for your response. I figured out what was wrong in a round about way....

First off, the BIOS version was A07 (as shipped), mini towers.

After taking your advice and resetting the BIOS and then going into Win 7 and re-enabling the changes I had made to the NIC power management, the WOL worked!

So I made the same changes to a few more PC's, cycled the BIOS' and they did not work! It was at this point I realized I have to not only cycle the BIOS but let the OS load. If I don't let Windows 7 load, the machines don't WOL.

I confirmed this on several PC's even with different BIOS changes, and they all worked IF I let the OS load. This finally sheds light on why I was chasing so many red herrings so to speak. I'd think some goofy change made it work, when in reality it was the OS load that would give me a 'false' positive.

Thankfully the whole lab is now responding, but I feel a bit of a fool for chasing ghosts for 2 days in that lab!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

August 7th, 2014 08:00

So I made the same changes to a few more PC's, cycled the BIOS' and they did not work! It was at this point I realized I have to not only cycle the BIOS but let the OS load. If I don't let Windows 7 load, the machines don't WOL.

It looks like it is important that the OS shuts down the PC and leaves the network card enabled. This is similar to Windows 8 where you need to turn off fast startup to make WOL work. Things get so complex with these new OS and energy saving stuff - it is a nightmare!

Anguel

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 7th, 2014 13:00

Good work, guys! :emotion-21:

Your efforts should help others fix this issue more easily.

No Events found!