Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2010 11:00

Wanting to switch inspiron 570 case to studio or xps 4xx case.

Well i got my inspron 570 a few months ago and have been adding on to it. 5670 card bigger psu ect and now i want some more room. I have no idea if my mobo will fit into a newer xps case. ive tried to find what kind of boad i have and what goes into the xps cases. Thanks!

5 Posts

September 13th, 2010 18:00

Bump for someone who knows more then I do. Thanks

14.4K Posts

September 13th, 2010 19:00

No i doubt you can just drop your stuff into another XPS case. Dells mother boards and cases especially in your case are proprietary. At the most you would have to hack up the back of the case to get the connectors to line up and then there will be the big issue of trying to get the front panel cables to hook up.

The same would hold true for after market cases

7 Posts

January 11th, 2011 12:00

the inspiron 570 has mATX mobo in it. I had successfully reinstalled the motherboard into my HTPC case. So this particular model (570) is not as proprietary...

however, I have the Front panel missing alert popping every boot after POST. Would anyone suggest how to remove the annoying request to hit F1 every boot?

I have connected all the USB and audio (AC97) connectors to the new case and all is working fine, its just this F1 request popping every time...

thanks

Andre

14.4K Posts

January 11th, 2011 14:00

You will never get rid if it unless you hook up a Dell Front panel assembly. This is one of the things you have to live with when dealing with Dell parts.

7 Posts

January 11th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for replying Dave

the funny thing is that while I had the original Dell case  and already installed the internal components into the new aftermarket HTPC case, I've noticed this alert message popping up at boot  and  connected the original front panel back to the mobo. And it did not help even though I've connected all the USB/auidio/whatever original connectors!

apparently there is a ground signal at the motherboard which is connected somewhere at the front panel to the chassis  itself and the mo/bo is able to sense if it is grounded on that pin or not..... I only wonder what that pin number might be?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2012 13:00

Replied to by Ray Kul

Try removing the batt and unpluging the on/off switch,both the green and yellow plugs for the front audio/usb wait 10min.(or remove the CMOS jumper for 30sec)Replace the batt and plugs reboot. Go into the bios before the pc starts and set the bios to default F10 and save. I Just did a Inspiron 570 swap into a older Foxconn Elite case. I used everything from the Dell case except the little plastic piece from the front that holds the power switch. Not sure if you have to use the Dell card reader and Dell front panel usb/audio ??? But my Dell usb/audio is now mounted thru the back of the case.I didn't need it for anything there was already 2 usb's on the front of the new case and there was an extra header on the mobo to wire them to so i put the Dell setup in the back for extra usb's  .. The front power switch wasn't hard. I used the Dell connector,wires and both leds,they just clip in. The extra wire on the Dell plug (black jumper) is needed for diagnostics when the computer starts .The Dell power on/off switch is made different and wouldn't fit in my front panel so i soldered the 2 wires from the switch to the switch for the Foxconn and added shrink tube. worked like a charm never seen front panel not found hit F1 to continue again  ...btw i used all the parts because of the F1 startup BS..It took me 2 frustrated days before i got it to go away! Now its time for a 600w PSU and video card. it came with a decent AMD quad core CPU,1 tb hdd,and 8gigs of ram

3 Posts

December 6th, 2014 05:00

I know this is an old thread but I felt I could help prevent a lot of grief for some folks out there by sharing this story regarding the error message upon startup that reads "Alert! Front Panel not detected, press F1 to continue, F2 for Setup" or similar.

This repair was a stock Inspiron 570 in which lighting came into the DSL modem via the phone line and then went down the Ethernet cable and blew up the Ethernet circuitry on the mobo. This happens a lot in NW Alabama. The PC would never shut off or sleep, it would start to then after a brief, correct orange power LED it would come back to life, and the power LED would revert to white. If I went into BIOS and disabled the onboard LAN it would function properly but I wanted to resell this thing. Frankly, although everything else worked and I could have installed a wireless adapter in the PCI slot or a wireless adapter or Ethernet adapter in a USB port, I just wasn’t sure what else would turn up later due to the severe ESD/lightning hit.

So I found a used but working mobo that was an exact duplicate (Dell part # 4GJJT) on that online store that rhymes with ‘decay’ and slapped it in, booted up it up and BANG….up pops “Alert! Front Panel not detected, press F1 to continue, F2 for Setup”.

You MUST have the front panel USB ports connected to the mobo USB #17 hiding next to / underneath the PCI connector on the mobo. The mobo is silkscreened “F_USB1’ next to the connector, the ‘F’ most likely means ‘Front’. The other 2 USB ports on the mobo closer to the front are labeled “IN_USB1” and “IN_USB2”. I have to assume the ‘IN” means ‘Internal’.

The front panel’s USB cable has a green connector and must plugged into the green mobo USB socket labelled “F_USB1”. I had done this BUT….because it was so close to the PCI connector it was NOT fully seated! I re-seated it fully and no more “…press F1”.

To be honest, I found this info on another forum (not Dell) and when I re-checked how I had installed the USB cables onto the new mobo I discovered it was not fully seated. I hope this helps!

No Events found!