Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 18:00

Warning: Dell Studio Mini-Tower Desktop can not use gaming video cards without user power supply upgrade

I just bought a Dell studio Mini-tower desktop and went to install a new video card and to my amazement the power supply has zero free molex connectors.  So I now need to buy a new power supply.  Way to skimp on the most basic stuff Dell.  Do not buy this computer unless you want a video card that requires no power from the power supply or you will have to upgrade your power supply.

Anyone suggest a good power supply?

17 Posts

The Studio Mini Tower linked here  4GB ram 2.93 ghz E7500 Dual Core Processor.  This is the cheapest of the cheap way to cut corners.  I have friends with 2 year old Dells that have molex connectors.

The power supply that it comes with is standard atx 6x5.5x3.5.

I was thinking about this power supply but it seems too big at 3.4" x 5.9" x 6.1".  Aren't these standardized at all?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

gwlaw99

Can't really help, as Dell makes several different Studio Models, what is your Model?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 8th, 2009 19:00

gwlaw99

The Antec 550w power supply in your link HERE would be fine for your Mini Tower. The only problem may be to find a space to place the surplus cables in.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 8th, 2009 20:00

gwlaw99

You are welcome.

A Hint: Please edit your post and remove the three asterisks, as word substitution, is a violation of Dell's TofS and post could be deleted.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

17 Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

Heh. It was removed, but not sure why.  Thanks again.  I am still really mad at dell for being so cheap.  Guess i have to learn how to install a power supply quickly.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2009 08:00

gwlaw99

See if THIS can help you with replacing the power supply.

Bev.

17 Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

Thanks.  I think I have the basic gist of what to do.  I just need to make sure all the cables that I remove are put back properly.  I saw one demonstration in which the power supply was removed with the cables still plugged in.  Then the new power supply was seated in the computer.  Then each cable was replaced one at time.  Seemed to work well.  I bought an anti static wrist band just in case as well.  Wish me luck! :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

gwlaw99

Good luck.   :emotion-21:   :emotion-2:

Bev.

No Events found!