Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2013 20:00

Wavy / Shaky Screen on Log-in and Log-out

I have an Dell Inspiron 580.  I decided to finally post this question because after numerous attempts on the website, I keep being told that I have to speak with someone to get technical support.  Anyway, I've had the desktop almost 3 years (I ordered it through the website) and it's been in it's current location a little more than 2 years.  The first problem I noticed (don't remember when it started), was my screen blacking out, then coming back on with a message sort of like --

AMD Display Driver stopped responding

After seeing this off and on randomly for a while, I started going through the Dell site to figure out what was wrong. I did the virtual technician stuff and all that, and even attempted to update a Driver...

Eventually that message stopped appearing...what happened instead was upon logging in and logging out, the screen would shake.  It only happens during those times, but I'm really confused as to if these two situations are related, what they mean, if it implies my computer is eventually going to break down, and what I can do to prevent it.

I'm willing to provide whatever info is needed to fix this.  Thanks!

3.1K Posts

September 1st, 2013 23:00

Hi Kimariyan,

First and foremost, I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

If diagnostics doesn't show any error code, then perform a clean re-installation of the video drivers.

• Open Device Manager (open run windows, type devmgmt.msc).
  • Expand Display Adapters, right click and uninstall all the options listed 
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”.
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Then check for the Video drivers in Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs, uninstall the driver, if any.
  • Restart the computer
  • Now re-install the latest drivers from the following link http://dell.to/11iojrK -> type the Service tag of the computer -> select the operating system -> expand Video, download and install the driver.
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

September 14th, 2013 20:00

Hi Appu S,

Thanks for the suggestion! I just wanted to check something before continuing with your steps --

I ran the Diagnostics and nothing came up as an error. My currently installed Display Adapter is ATI Radeon HD 5450 Version 8.792.00.  When I went to the website, there were two options for my Service Tag, but it didn't actually match the one installed --

One was AMD Radeon HD5450 1G DDR3, v.8.792-101109a1-109085C, A03

And the other was nVidia Nvidia M207(D12M2-25) GT420 (1G DDR3), v.263.11, A01

I assume I should do the AMD install...but is that correct considering it is not the same "brand"?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2013 10:00

The video card fan has failed and the power supply fan is likely not working.  Its overheating.

3.1K Posts

September 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi Kimariyan,

Yes, you are correct. Since your system has AMD graphics card, you would need to download and install the AMD driver. Here is the direct link http://dell.to/198TYhT.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2013 13:00

So Speedstep, do you have a suggestion on how to fix that?

7 Posts

September 17th, 2013 14:00

So AMD is under the ATI Technologies umbrella? I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, I just don't want to do something that is incorrect or that will only add to the problem.

Also, I have had an error message come up twice after the computer has been asleep --

"Current Timing is not supported by Monitor Display" Please change to 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz" (I paraphrased)

Is this also related to the driver issue?  Will this update help once reinstalled?

3.1K Posts

September 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi Kimariyan,

I understand you dilemma. Don't worry, we are here to take care of the problem.

Yes, it is correct that AMD and ATI are same. The issues that you are facing with your computer seems to be related with the drivers. Would request you to proceed with the driver update and share the findings.

No Events found!