Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 25th, 2015 17:00

Ways to make a Celeron All in one faster

I purchased a All in One with a Celeron processor for my wife recently ,and it lags and has slow performance. Is there anything i can do , or should I just return it. I got a great deal on it.
All she does is play POGO games and Facebook.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

May 26th, 2015 13:00

How much RAM?

What version of Windows?

How much "junk" is running in the background?

30 Posts

May 26th, 2015 18:00

The specs are:  Intel Celeron N2830 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows 8.1
Integrated  Intel HD Graphics

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

May 27th, 2015 12:00

You didn't say which AIO you have, but if it supports more than 4 GB of RAM, you might consider adding another 4 GB.

You should also check to see if you have all the latest drivers for this system. You can find the latest on Dell's Support page for this model.

And you should consider what's loading in the background when you boot. PCs tend to load a lot of stuff that's not necessary at boot and it just hogs resources, like components for Adobe Reader, etc. You can disable them in a way that the app will still load and run, but only when you really want them.

Antiviral software can also hog resources. I'm not saying you should disable it, but if it's McAfee or Norton, you might consider replacing it with something that isn't such a hog. There are some good free AV products out there that won't bog the system down as much as McAfee or Norton.

30 Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

Good tips.
I disabled a few things, and deleted the Amazon app
Set everything to performance. Disabled a few start up items.
I'll look into more RAM.   McAfee is on 1 month trial ,so I'll be adding Panda or Avast probably.
Although Avast slowed my previous PC down till I switched to Panda,but this is running Windows 8.1,so I don't know how it will run.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

Don't "add" Panda or Avast to a system running McAfee. Remove McAfee first (use their total removal tool from McAfee's site) and then reboot and install something else.

30 Posts

May 27th, 2015 19:00

Got it !  I was thinking the same thing about the removal tool.
Thanks,

No Events found!