Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 24th, 2015 11:00

Website videos stop and start

Hello, I've tried to explain this problem once before, but it continues to happen. I'll click on a website video, or any type of video, and sometimes it will start and begin to play and others it will start then stop and then a few seconds later start again.  It's extremely irritating. My computer is brand new, it's a Inspiron 3646 and has Windows 8.1 as it's OS. Someone told me that my router may be overloaded if there a lot of people using it with multiple devices, but I'm the only one and have only one computer on it. I had hoped that with the purchase of a new computer that problem would be fixed. I've had the download speed checked and it seemed to vary with each speed test site I went to and I checked each site within five minutes of the first one. It varied from 1.4Mbps down to .87Mbps depending on which site was doing the test. The upload speed was low but it stayed constant with each site that I tried. Can anyone else help me with this problem? If so I thank you for any help you may have to offer.

13 Posts

January 24th, 2015 13:00

I think you answered your own question!

Your problem isn't your computer, but your internet speed. Videos buffer because the service is too slow.

Your didn't say what cable service and speed your suppose to be getting. The person that told you about a problem with the router may be right. Call your provider, and have the service coming to the house checked out.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2015 17:00

You have slow as dirt ADSL or a 3G MIFI or 3G Tethered Phone.   FIOS has 50 MEG download speed.  T1 Line is 1.5Megs as are DSL Lines.  Even on Wireless in my back Yard on a laptop I get over 5 meg each way with 15ms ping.

http://www.speedtest.net/

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 15:00

I have done that a short while ago and I was told that my download speed was supposed to be only 1Mbps and I can"t remember what he had said about the upload speed. I had one of those online speed tests done and it said my download speed was .87Mbps and I can't remember what the upload speed was. I pay $24.99 a month for the internet and I can't even watch a video online! I've checked with the only other provider in my area for high speed service and their cost was $39.99, but then they said I would new a new router, pay a connection fee, and there was something else also, but the total was well over a $100 and with money being tight from Christmas spending I can't afford that right now. Their promised download speed was 10Mbps. Thanks for your help!

13 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 13:00

I guess your going without any internet video for now!

All I can say is the speed your getting for $25.00 bucks is ridiculous, and the other offer for $40.00, is almost as bad.

But if this is all that's available in your area, there isn't much you can do!

I hope your situation improves.

Best of luck

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 14:00

You're absolutely right about what I'm getting for my $25. I called my ISP today and asked them how much of faster speed will I get if I decide to upgrade with them, and they told me (like it was something special) I could expect 4Mbps for $39.99!! The other company offered 10Mbps for $39.99 also, why anyone would go for the 4Mbps is beyond me. Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions I appreciate it! Take Care

No Events found!