Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2009 11:00

What Graphics Card could I use to upgrade a Studio Slim Desktop?

Hi everyone,

Hope I got this in the right section as this is my first post so apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

Anyway my query is how upgradable is a Studio Slim Desktop from Dell, mainly aiming this question at the graphics card. Has anyone got a Studio Slim Desktop and felt the urge to upgrade the graphics card, if so what GC's did you upgrade it to? The Slim versions have a 512mb ATI Radeon HD 4350 GC installed which is ok but I think I will want to upgrade, as this card at retail is around £30 and will probably want a more powerful one somewhere down the line. Or is it not possible to upgrade this component as I heard its a fixed component and unremovable.

I used Dell chat to talk to someone from Dell but he could not answer my questions as he said he could only talk about Dell products which was fair enough but still did not answer all my questions.

Would it be better to get a normal Studio (not the Slim version) as there would be more room at my disposal with regards to upgradeing the system internally? I would prefer the Slim version as it looks tidy and would fit in well in at home but if I would be better off getting a normal version then I would consider it.

Anyones input would be very grateful, thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

July 24th, 2009 12:00

Hi CGooders, There are 2 cards that come to mind, the ATI HD 4550 which is the one I use, and the ATI HD 4650. Both these card do come in the low profile version. HERE for the 4550, and HERE for the 4650.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Never get a Slim version.  Too many limitations on repair and upgrade.

The Tower Version allows bigger power supply and or repair power supply as well as full size cards.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

The slim desktop is limited to half height (also sometimes called low profile) videocards. The 4350 may be among the best (highest performing) cards available in this limited size.

If you want a more powerful card and haven't purchased the system yet, a 'normal' Studio is indeed a much better choice as this can take a full height videocard (and probably even dual-slot).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 24th, 2009 13:00

CGooders

If you want a PC that's easy to upgrade, don't buy the Studio Slim, buy the Mini Tower version. where full size cards can be installed.

Bev. 

2 Posts

July 24th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for all your input people and after reading all the replies, I'm going to go for a normal Studio Desktop now as my thoughts were confirmed as it being Slim might make it hard to upgrade which was mentioned by some of you in the recent replies.

Right now you answered my first question I got a follow on question....or maybe a couple. I'm going to get a normal Studio Desktop now but want to know, do I have to get a certain type of graphics card for the Desktop as compatibility might be a issue with some of the cards or not?

Could I put any type of GC (1GB or 512MB) in a normal Studio Desktop and install it to work or are there some it will not run?

Has anyone got a normal Studio Desktop and changed the GC in it, if so which one did you replace it with? If you know of any recommendations then please feel free to give me some.

Thanks for all your help.

165 Posts

July 24th, 2009 16:00

if you might ever want to use a "super quiet" video card cooling fan/device (e.g., Zalman), there might not be enough room?

otherwise, if the "desktop" configuration takes the same standard size card as a "tower" (or mini-tower), you should be ok?

as long as the "desktop" power supply has enough capacity.

if you have any question, or doubt, about future expandability, get a tower/mini-tower instead of a desktop.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 24th, 2009 20:00

Could I put any type of GC (1GB or 512MB) in a normal Studio Desktop and install it to work or are there some it will not run?

It depends on the power consumption of the card.

Has anyone got a normal Studio Desktop and changed the GC in it, if so which one did you replace it with? If you know of any recommendations then please feel free to give me some.

I have a Studio Slim to which I added a Sapphire 4650 video card and a Blu-ray drive. More powerful cards are available, but unless one is into heavy gaming, they're not necessary.

No Events found!