Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2009 14:00

What bios do i need on my xps720 to sli

I want to add another 8800 ultra video card. When i put the other card in the screen goes black. There is no where in my bios to enable the sli. What do i need to do to get this to work?? Can someone please help so I dont have to take it to the geeks at best buy. The bios im running right now is A05.Thanks

51 Posts

January 28th, 2009 17:00

I want to add another 8800 ultra video card. When i put the other card in the screen goes black. There is no where in my bios to enable the sli. What do i need to do to get this to work?? Can someone please help so I dont have to take it to the geeks at best buy. The bios im running right now is A05.Thanks

A06's the latest...

( http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_720&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid= )

14.4K Posts

January 28th, 2009 18:00

While A06 is the latest SLI will run on any bios. You issue is not the bios. tell us more about your system specs and hardware.

there is no setting in the bios to enable or disable sli at all.

Make sure the second card is fully seated in teh system. Make sure the bridge is connect between the cards.

you can test the card by swaping it out with the current one in the same slot. if it works then plugin  the other card.

When does your screen go blank? During boot up or entering windows.

January 29th, 2009 14:00

Operating System
Vista 32 bit
Manufacturer
DELL XPS 720
Processor
Q6600 @2.40GHz
Memory
6Gig Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
Video Card
NVIDIA 8800 ultra 
Monitor
19 in. Samsung SyncMaster 906BW
Sound_card
Creative X-FI Xgamer
Speakers/Headset
Philips mms 280 / Logitech Headset
Keyboard
logitech G15 / BELKIN n52te Gamming Pad
Mouse
logitech G5
i updated bios to A06 and that didnt do anything.
The screen goes blank on reboot. it acts like theres no video card. 
there is no setting in the bios to enable or disable sli at all.
The password jumer is on should i take it off?
thanks for your help..

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2009 15:00

The password jumper has nothing to do with it. The jumper should be in the on position. All that does is enable the option to set a bios password.

I have to assume you have a 1kw power supply.

Test the new card by it self in the primary video slot. Does the new card function in single mode?

Why do you have 6 gigs of ram on a 32 bit os? you are just wasting anything over 4 gigs. There is no way that you are utilizing anything in actuality over 3 gigs.

January 29th, 2009 16:00

i forgot to say about the memory was i got a deal on newegg for 4GIG for $54.00 so i got it. i will be upgrading to 64bit at the end of the month. i will say that windows see it because after adding it i went from a 5.2 to a 5.8 in memory on windows experience index. it also says 6gig. i do want to say it again thanks for all your help dave....

Thanks for all your help Dave. I got it up and running. I took my card out and put the new card in the bottom slot. I rebooted the computer and it took a min to find it but it did. The new card ran fine so i shut down and put the old card back in the top slot and rebooted. I had the monitor plugged in the top card and all it show was the picture on my desktop with no windows program. Then i plug it in the bottom card and it was fine. i then pulled up ntune and the sli tab showed up. I enable sli and here i am. now the only problem i have is the bottom card is so close to the top card it is running pretty warm.you have any ideas on that??...lol..

14.4K Posts

Good news. Wonder if it was maybe a seating issue in the top slot? just a thought.

Anyways the ultas are hot running cards. I think this is why Dell stopped using them in later builds. You can put a 90mm fan on the back of the system, if you look at the back bezel you will even see that there are mouniting holes, and use a molex connector to power the fan. It will not have control but the newer fans are so quite that you will hardly notice it is there.

Another thing is to pick up a copy of Rivatuner as this is the best program to set up and control your video card fans. It has a bit of learning curve but it well renowned for the way it works.

14.4K Posts

you are  welcome. Drop me a pm and let me know how you like your logictech G15 and G5.

No Events found!