Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2017 08:00

What connects this old hard disc to a modern USB port? What do I search for on ebay?

I've read that the hard disc from my broken Dell Dimension 8300 can be read from a working computer, given the right connector or a caddy with the connectors bullt-in. I could plug it into the USB port,

The old power supply still works, so a data connection alone would be enough to help me copy the disc.

It might be too old to have any connectors still made to fit it - first attempts failed. Does anyone know what I should search for on the Dell site or ebay?

Here's a photo of the old connection socket. It is 20 x 2 pins with one missing.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2017 12:00

The connector is standard EIDE - 40 pin sockets and will work.  The "missing" pin on an EIDE connector on the drive is there so that the cable can't be connected incorrectly.

1.2K Posts

November 18th, 2017 15:00

www.walmart.com/.../49645282

another one. This one has with a power adapter. I've had a couple of these, but they got loaned out to family members and never returned.

edit: it is only USB 2.0, but good enough for one-time copies of old stuff.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2017 09:00

Something like this will do the job.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

November 18th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for reply!. If sellers of converter cables photographed each end, we'd know for sure but by the look of it it doesn't connect to a 39-pin port so I am still searching

November 19th, 2017 02:00

Thanks both!

"IDE to USB" was a good search on ebay.co.uk. It brings-up a load of similar flexes from China for about £2 or £3. I got carried-away and searched-out a power supply and 3.5" caddy as well. The new ones are about £17 upwards in the UK,

No Events found!