Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2014 10:00

What kind of battery backup do I need for XPS 8700 SE?

I just ordered an XPS 8700 SE and a Dell 23 Touch Screen monitor with no extensive upgrades.  I want to purchase an appropriate battery backup for it and was looking online.  How much power backup will it need?  Someone also mentioned waveforms as a problem with some backups.  Do I need pure sinewaves or will the stepped approximated version work.  I admit I don't know what I'm talking about here but I don't want to buy something that doesn't work with my setup.  Thanks for any help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

APC is the most affordable and available brand. See this site-- APC.com That's what I use for my 8700. See this one with 550w--

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911559/APC-Back-UPS-ES-550-Battery/

Just the computer can use the battery backup outlets. Today's monitors have separate power supplies and need to be plugged into the surge protected outlets on the units, not on the battery backup side.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2014 17:00

Thanks, Mary!  I use an APC with my previous Dell, nine years old now.  When I read about the sinewaves, I didn't know if something had changed and maybe it wouldn't work on the new one.  It could be that it only affects the real high-end models.  I'd like to be sure before buying a backup.  I got the impression from what I read that if the sinewaves don't match, the system goes down when the power does, so it doesn't work as a backup, just as a surge protector.  But it may be okay for the 8700.

No Events found!