Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2016 11:00

When should warranty begin?

I bought a new alienware steam machine yesterday from Gamestop. When I was buying it, the staff told me there would be warranty from Dell. But after I came back home and checked the Dell official website, I found the warranty was only 57 days left. It seems the warranty began when the machine was shipped to retailer. It's unfair!!! Why? Anyone could help me?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 27th, 2016 12:00

Have the seller either transfer ownership and initiate your warranty with Dell - - or if they will not, return the system for a refund.

You can also try here:

www.dell.com/.../19

... but if your retailer has a time limit on returns, don't wait that out -- insist they do the transfer or accept the return.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 28th, 2016 05:00

Register with dell.
http://www.dell.com/register

This is required when buying from retailers that arent dell.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 28th, 2016 11:00

I found the warranty was only 57 days left

So that probably means it's been sitting in some store for almost a year. Did they at least give you a REALLY GOOD deal?

Did you check Dell's Shop site to see if there's newer / better Alienware hardware for the same or even lower cost? :emotion-5:

3 Posts

November 28th, 2016 14:00

I've done that, but the warranty length doesn't change!

3 Posts

November 28th, 2016 14:00

Yes, I think I got a good price.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2016 04:00

It takes 5 business days for it to "register" and then you get an email from them that you are the new owner.  Then the warranty status changes.  UNLESS it is in someone elses name in which case you need an ownership transfer.  Otherwise take it back and get a refund.  The main issue here is that the only things that count are in writing.  If they didnt state the warranty on the receipt they can verbally tell you anything and it doesnt count.

Getting angry at gamestop here does not increase your warranty.

Dell may offer an extension to the warranty but that wont be free.

No Events found!