Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2011 08:00

Which video card for a dual monitor Vostro 460?

I'm about to place an order however I don't know if I should upgrade the video card. The default card is the nVidia GT 420. Is it worth it to upgrade to either ATI Radeon HD5670 or AMD Radeon™ HD 6670?  I'm getting two Dell 20" monitors and I plan on doing photo editing as well as a limited about of video. Would I be better off  getting an after market card?

Thanks,

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2011 11:00

It depends on the upgrade costs.  Sometimes they are less, but a lot of times they are much more than the same card you can buy at retail.  If I pull up the Vostro 460, the default shows only the Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics and they want $195 for an HD 6670 and you can get them for around $90 at retail.  If the default card is the GT 420, you are probably paying for that in some way.   The GT 420 is an OEM only card and not sold at retail.  It is a lower-end card and the new HD 6670 which is replacing the HD 5670 would definitely be better.  

I prefer retail cards since you have more choices to choose from to get just what you want if you have some experience.  On the downside, you have to go through the effort of physically installing the card and then installing the driver and hope that everything works as it should.   For me, it's a no brainer and I would go with the HD 6670 at retail based on the upgrade costs I have seen.  

2 Posts

June 15th, 2011 13:00

Makes perfect sense. I will get a retail version of the HD 6670. I've installed many video cards in the past so it shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for your response.

1 Message

February 12th, 2012 12:00

I just setup Dual Monitors (with Extended Mode) using the HDMI port on VOSTRO 460. I purchased a HDMI=>DVI adapter, cost $12. The 1st monitor uses DVI cable and adapter to HDMI port, 2nd monitor is connected to VGA.  Windows 7 detected both monitors and Extended Mode configured flawlessly.

This VOSTRO 460 has a Y2MRG motherboard, which has both VGA and HDMI ports. 

No Events found!