Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 14th, 2015 02:00

Why does my XPS 2720 crash during the night?

That last couple of days, when I go to the computer in the morning, It isn't running anymore.  Yesterday, it died at about 9pm.  It LOOKS like there might have been some NIC issue.

This problem only started after the second Windows 10 update.  Not sure if that is related.

Should I be getting the latest bios and drivers from Dell and apply them?  In the past, I hesitated to do this because it seemed like it was recommending things that it should not have.

Since I am a computer programmer and use this machine all day long, it is suspicious that it only crashes at night.

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 14th, 2015 08:00

Night Time is when the Chinese and Russian hackers that have installed malware key-loggers and Trojans onto your machine start using your system to attack others. The Smurf Attack is a distributed denial-of-service attack in which large numbers of Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) packets with the intended victim's spoofed source IP are broadcast to a computer network using an IP Broadcast address. Most devices on a network will, by default, respond to this by sending a reply to the source IP address. If the number of machines on the network that receive and respond to these packets is very large, the victim's computer will be flooded with traffic. This can slow down the victim's computer to the point where it crashes.

No Events found!