Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2010 09:00

WiFi Card for Inspiron 560MT Desktop

I just ordered an Inspiron 560 mini-tower desktop from Dell Outlet.  I will need to install a wireless networking card in this machine when it arrives.

I see from the product specifications that the machine will accept a "PCI Express WiFi card supporting 802.11a/b/g/n".

Trouble is that I already have a 32-bit PCI Interface wireless card that I would like to use -- not a PCIe WiFi card.  Will my old PCI WiFi card work?  Or must I go out and purchase a PCIe WiFi card?

729 Posts

September 5th, 2010 10:00

If your PCI WiFi card isn't to old it should work, but the 560MT only has one PCI slot.  So hopefully it's not being used.

September 5th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for your prompt reply!  Given that my "old" Motorola WPCI810G PCI card is now discontinued, I suspect that I will have problems with Windows 7 driver support anyway.  Time to buy a new wireless adapter...

I did find some "recertified" Netgear WN111 USB 2.0 wireless adapters on TigerDirect.com today for $12.99 so I will be getting one of those.  No affiliation with TigerDirect -- just sharing...

Some quick market research led me to believe that PCIe wireless cards for desktop PCs are not a common item.  I suspect that I will be better off with the USB adapter. Thanks!

No Events found!