Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2013 19:00

Will I have room to run a SATA cable and adapter under the GTX 660 graphics card?

Hi

I want to add another SATA III SSD to my new XPS 8500 Special Edition desktop. Let me tell you what I have and then what I want to do. This desktop has a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD and a 3TB WD HDD. The OS, a 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate, is installed on a SATA III port. The only other SATA III port is a mSATA port and then there is one PCIe 2.0 x1 slot for a card.

I have a spare 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD that is still "new" and unused that I would like to install Windows 8.1 on when this OS comes out. From what I can tell, PCIe cards with SSDs attached are pretty much hit or miss. I purchased  a nice one, but it fits a PCIe 2.0 x2, x4, x8 or ,x16 slot, but not a x1 slot. If it would of worked, I could of used the spare SSD that I already have. I don't want to purchase a mSATA SSD unless I have to. A 240 to 256GB mSATA SSD is $200+. I finally found a mSATA to SATA cable adapter to that I can attach the SSD to. There is am image of it from a sales procure below. I can attach the elbow end of a SATA cable to the adapter and the other end of the cable to my unused SSD. Then I can attach a spare power cable to the SSD. The graphics card runs across the adapter and the elbow section of the SATA cable.

My problem is that I can't tell if I will have room for this adapter and cable, Dose anyone know how much room there is between the 1.5GB GTX 660 graphics card and the area where the mSATA port is? If this will work, I'll be able to use my spare SSD and save the cost of purchasing a mSATA SSD.

This is the mSATA to 7 pin adapter from microsatacables.com. http://www.microsatacables.com/msata-to-7-pin-sata-dapter/

No Responses!
No Events found!