Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 7th, 2000 00:00

Will system work on either 110v or 220v

If any ones knows and can help me... I need to know if my computer (Dell 350) and components (monitor + Speakers) will work on 220 v. If not, will a transformer (to 220v) do the trick or will it harm the machine evenually. .. Thx Carrie

2.5K Posts

April 7th, 2000 15:00

The computer?
Check the back of your computer, There should be a flick switch (mine is red) that allows you to alter the voltage supply to accept 220V (Most will operate between 200-250V). Remember to switch BEFORE you plug in the power cable, unless you want to fry its components.

If your computer doesn't have the switch (I highly doubt this would be the case), then you are out of luck.

Monitor?
Most monitors these days are multi-voltage, i.e., they accept the whole range and will switch automatically. Check the back of your monitor. If it says 100-250V 50Hz/60Hz or similar, then it belongs to that category, and all you'll have to do is plug in the power cable and power it up.

Speakers?
Again, it depends on the manufacturer, but I highly doubt they would supply with a multi-voltage power supply to drive the speakers.

Check on the power adapter/power supply that powers your speakers. Again check the lable to see if it says something similar to voltage specs I mentioned above. If it does, congratulations!

If it doesn't, you have two options: a) get a new power supply when you moved to the 220V location by contacting the local office of the manufacturer, or get a generic one that matches your original in output voltage, output amperes, and polarity.

b) use a voltage transformer, then plug all the components into it. Make sure you get a good one which has a voltage regulator to stablise the output voltage.

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom."

D266/I3200/T450/T500
Xircom PortStation USB Hub
Logitech QuickCam Pro USB/WingMan Force Feedback USB/WingMan Gamepad Extreme USB
Iomega ZIP100 USB/ZIP250 USB
Wacom PenPartner USB
HP ScanJet 6200C USB

4 Posts

August 15th, 2017 09:00

Hello! I am going for one year to Europe, where there is 220 V. I am taking my working PC I purchased from Dell in 2012 – it is Dell XPS 8500. Will it work if I plug in overt there? I don't want it to burn…

Or I need a converter for the 220V to 110V conversion? Please advice…

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 12:00

Sovfree-

From the XPS 8500 Specs:

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8500_reference guide_en-us.pdf

Power port Input voltage: 100-240 VAC

Input frequency: 50 Hz-60 Hz

Rated input current: 8.0 A/4.0 A

You will need a different power cord to handle the higher voltage and because wall outlets in Europe differ from USA and sometimes even from country to country.

Also check your monitor and any other accessories (eg, printer, etc) you're taking to see if they support 220V. If they use an external power brick, the ratings are probably marked right on the brick. Either way, they will also need new power cords, assuming they support 220V.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 15th, 2017 13:00

Dell XPS 8500 comes with power supply unit which can take an input voltage ranging from 100 – 240 volts. It should automatically adjust to the relevant country's voltage.   The Power Cord will need to be changed.

Schuko CEE7/7 to C13 International Power Cord

UK BS1363 to C13 Power Cord

No Events found!