Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2014 17:00

Will this graphics card work with the xps 8500?

I currently have an xps 8500 with an a09 bios and am planning on upgrading the psu that came with it. Is this graphics card compatible with the bios?

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-2GB-2xDVI-Graphics-GV-R927XOC-2GD/dp/B00FONITCE/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

November 27th, 2014 19:00

Well. I know I can change other graphics cards than that because I have upgraded this exact model before to other graphics cards. I already have a 7770 now and I think that a 270x is a rebranded 7870. But I also know that  this model has bios issues. The r9 270x is what I want to upgrade to. And I don't want to risk flashing the bios. Any idea if it is possible?

November 27th, 2014 19:00

Hi Orangegasm,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

The XPS 8500 ships with integrated graphic (Standard) option, but you can opt to buy a separate discrete graphics card. The given below are the compatible Discrete Graphics card options for the XPS 8500 model.

Integrated (UMA) — Intel® HD Graphics 2500 (Core i5) and HD Graphics 4000 (Core i7)

Discrete — nVidia GeForce GT620(Optional)

Discrete — nVidia GeForce GT640(Optional)

Discrete — AMD Radeon HD7570 (Optional)

Discrete — AMD Radeon HD7770 (Optional)

Discrete — AMD Radeon HD7870 (Optional)

Feel free to private message me with any other questions or concerns. To private message me, click on my User name and click "start conversation".

Awaiting your response!

November 29th, 2014 21:00

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us on that. I’m sorry for the late response.

Dell does not offer bios updates once a particular model is discontinued. Unfortunately, there has been many issues along the XPS line with video cards and compatibility problems. If you have installed a good Graphic card with the required configuration then you may have a compatibility issue.  You can go ahead and try it out however there might be compatibility issue. We don’t recommend it.

No Events found!