Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 23rd, 2017 13:00

Windows 10 stopped recognising second monitor

XPS Studio 435MT with ATI Radeon HD 4800 graphics, Dell S2309W, Dell 1907FP

I have been using Windows 10 with these two monitors in extended mode since upgrading to Win10 on its release. This morning it suddenly stopped recognising the main screen. Rebooting brought both screens back to life but with a low resolution duplicated display.

Device Manager lists the correct Display Adapter (ATI Radeon HD4800) but 'No drivers are installed for this device'

I have downloaded and installed the latest versions available but this message still appears

If I select Update Driver and either search the internet or browse my computer I get 'The best drivers for your device are already installed' and yet Device Manager still shows 'No drivers are installed for this device'

Right-clicking the Desktop and selecting Display and 'Detect' produces 'Didn't detect another display'

Only the S2309W appears in Device Manager

How can I restore my former setup?

I restored the system to a previous restore point and it worked for about five minutes then reverted to the above situation

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 18:00

I have a Studio XPS 435 with ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB and my computer did the exact same thing today.  I tried all of the fixes you described, but haven't been able to find a solution.  Hard to believe that this could be a coincidence.  Would love to hear if anyone knows how to fix this problem.

1 Message

November 24th, 2017 12:00

I had the same issue on a bunch of machines with the latest Windows 10 update not working with the installed video drivers. The fix was really simple once I figured it out. Go into Device Manager, go to your Display Adapters and right click on your installed adapter. Choose Update Driver, then "Browse my computer for driver software", on the next screen click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". In the list choose an older driver and click Next. The older version of the video drivers I used on 8 different machines fixed the problem on all of them. Good luck!

2 Posts

November 24th, 2017 16:00

The solution above is similar to one that I found on another site ... went into Device Manager > Display adapters > ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series right-click Properties > under Driver tab click Roll Back Driver ... probably did the same thing you suggested, JCorallo.  Once I did this everything went back to normal :)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 27th, 2017 11:00

This card is legacy.   Directx June 2010 as well as the Legacy Driver and DOTNET 2.0 3.5 is required for CATALYST CONTROL CENTER.  Automatically Detect and Install Your Driver DOES NOT and WILL NOT ever work with LEGACY cards.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You download the file and extract to a FOLDER then run dxsetup.exe

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10

You will have to use the Legacy Drivers for this card or get a newer one.

Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 Series
No Events found!