Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2014 09:00

Windows 7 Pro installation on Vostro 220 - excessively long disk access problems

The Vostro 220 desktop I had came with XP/Vista but I used XP for quite some time.

Then decided to update to Win7 Pro 64bit. Installed it as a new installation and noticed a very disturbing problem which makes the computer useless.

I am experiencing excessively long stalling or delaying with various programs accessing the disk. For example:

1. Copying data files from CD/DVD to a HD.
  2. Accessing eBooks (PDF files, etc)
  3. Loading other data files like pictures, office documents, audio-video files, etc.

Copying data from CD to HD would be delayed for a minute or more until it would start the copy. Reading PDF files would make Acrobat non-responding for a very long time, then it would work for a number of pages before it would stall again.

Dell doesn’t have anything about this problem but it is very consistent. Updated BIOS to the latest version, installed Win7-Pro SP1 twice, once on a WD HD, then on a Kingston SSD drive. Applied some fixes from Windows like the WMI fix which appeared in the event log as an error but nothing helped.

In fact Dell seems to support the Win7 upgrade because it does have Win7 drivers, but nothing matches with SATA or disk related fixes for the hardware I am using.

This problem of course was not seen under XP Pro installation.

Thanx

-- al

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2014 10:00

This problem of course was not seen under XP Pro installation.

Vista and 7 are much more sensitive to hardware errors (like failing hard drives) than XP was, and long delays and stalls are a symptom of this.

A new hard drive might be in order, but you'd want to confirm this by analyzing the disk with utility software.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2014 13:00

My Vostro 220s has no issues with Vista or Windows 7.

BTW have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

3 Posts

January 28th, 2014 13:00

I ran the manufacturers HD diagnostic routine. No problem was detected.

Also had a brand new SSD drive.

All these devices worked flawlessly in other computers!

This has to be an issue somehow will the Dell hardware itself. The machine was shipped with XP/Vista and although I never used Vista on it, Vista most likely worked on it otherwise we could of heard the complaints than.

-- al k

3 Posts

January 28th, 2014 16:00

yes I did

One thing I might try is to install the 32bit instead of the 64bit.

Which version of Win7 you have installed?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2014 18:00

It was 64-bit Professional.

No Events found!